Accounting Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexluethar

Fully Optimized
What is your favorite accounting software for windows? I was originally using microsoft accounting 2007, but that has rendered unusable in my system now so i'm looking for a new program.

I'm open to both for-pay and open source accounting software. Whichever you've had the best of luck with and enjoy using.

Anything but Quicken

Reasons.
1. You need to activate your software and your company data file.
--- This means that if you have your computer in your office and your computer at home, Quicken forces you to purchase a second lisence. And quicken really gets thier knickers in a note when it comes down to unauthorised activations.
--- If you happen to have a computer crash where you need to re-install every thing, you have to call up quicken to reactivate your software along with your company data. This just add more stress to an all ready stressful situation. And this a real pain when this happens on a friday evening or saturday afternoon when the activation team has gone home.

2. Quicken has been known to change products between release. Eg. Qucken Premier orginally had 5 licenses, the current version only has 3. Not sure what is going to happen for those people that are a 5 user Qucken Premier that need to upgrade to the new version. I think they need to buy more licenses.

3. Quicken as been known to just phase out products.

4. If you are an MYOB user, Quicken will pay you money to convert over from MYOB to Quicken. Sorry, but that sort of marketing to try to gain market share just shows me that the company is desperate.

5. Quicken does not like supporting thier older products.
Lets say you are an MYOB user. You are using an older version of MYOB, you need to re-install your computer, however you have found out that you have lost your MYOB CD. Pay MYOB $50 and they will send you out replacement media.
If you happen to be a Quicken user. You are using an older version of quicken, you need to re-install your computer, however you have found out that you have lost your Quicken CD. Quicken will not supply you replacement media. However they will be more than happy to charge you for a upgrade to the current version.

6. Quicken keeps making changes to the way that thier database operates between version.

7. Quciken Supported Features. Even when you have a current support contact with quicken, there are still some thing that quicken will tell you that you need to pay for a training course or see a quicken professional partner with. And some of these features are not clearly explained in the user manual.
Eg. Quicken Point Of Sales as the following features
- Customer loyalty program
- Table management for resteraunts
The manual breifly talk about it, but does not give much instructions in how to set up or use these features. When you call quicken support, they tell you that you need to see a Quicken Professional Partner or go to a Quicken Product Training Course. Both of these you have to pay money for.

8. Quicken Dealer Support (Hahahahahahaha!). Let say I am a computer shop (which I am). I sell you a copy of quicken. You have to register your copy of quicken directily with Quicken. 11 months later, you will get a letter in the male asking if you want to upgrade your copy of Qucken to the last version directly from quicken. The prices offer by quicken for this upgrade are much cheaper than what is being offer from the shop.

9. The software layout is a pain. The lapout of the software is this huge flow diagram. How ever came up with that tag line of "Quick'enEasy" should be shot.

10. I don't like the way it handle inventory. It works if you happen to be a company that requires multiple items to make 1 sellable product. Great for manufacturing and keeping track on your stock leaves of parts.
Eg. 1x BIG MAC requires 2x Meat Paddies, 2x Cheeze, 1x Lettise, 1x Tomatto, 1x Onion, 1x Bread Bun.
1x Quarter Pounder requires 1x Meat Paddies, 1x Cheeze, 1x Lettise, 1x Tomatto, 1x Onion, 1x Bread Bun.
Great if you happen to be making things. Just get in the pay if you just selling items.
And don't get me started on how it handles invertory for Quicken Point Of Sale.

About the only good thing I like about quicken is how the Mutli-User Version (Quicken Premier) takes up much less network resourses than MYOB Premier.

Personally i am more of an MYOB Person. I find it's a lot easier to follow and alot less restricting.

Haha wow KC. I've rebuild my database and what not, but i'm just using Excel right now. Not sure what program i'm going to migrate - my worry is having it crap out like the other one did. So now i have a corrupt file that NO OTHER software can read. I would have similar issues with other proprietary software programs.

I seriously don't know what i'll do, probably stick with excel for a year or two until business becomes too much to handle through a crappy template.

The companies around here that are doing $10mil.+ are either using quickbooks or peachtree.
fyi- if you need to do a 3 yr. report like the septic pumpers do to your customers for repeat business, then quickbooks doesn't make it easy. peachtree I don't know.

Hi,

How about GnuCash? It's 'personal and small-business financial-accounting software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available for GNU/Linux, BSD, Solaris, Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.'

I've installed it on my nettop. I haven't used it extensively yet however, but it seems to have all the important features you'd expect from an accounting software.

I had a coworker suggest gnucash as well, i've read the information but haven't decided about what to do yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom