Accidently deleted MS Office (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmbphan041

Baseband Member
Hi guys,

A few days ago I ran CCleaner and Eusing registry cleaner and one of them seems to have deleted MS Office 2003 right off my HD. I don't have the disc, or at least I can't find it right now. I'm on my parents computer (home from college for the summer) and my Mom is not happy. I tried doing a system restore but for some reason that keeps coming up as "incomplete."

I dont have to shell out the money for a new disc, do I?

HELP!!!

-adam

Hello,

Those programs would not just delete the software from the hard drive. Check in the C:\Program Files\Office folder. It could also be under Microsoft Office. But those apps do not delete software from a hard drive like you are describing.

If you can not find the media and you do not have the serial available then yes. You will have to buy a new copy.

Cheers,
Mak

nope, not there. I wonder how the heck I ended up deleting it then?? I mean, I wouldnt purposey delete MS word, I'm a college student, I use it for everything.

any idea on why I can do a successful system restore? should I try doing one in safe mode?

also, will doing a system restore bring back MS office? (I hope so!)

could I have accidentally turned it off in the run-->msconfig window?

I have no idea what I'm doing with computers.

ah jeez.

Hello,

If the folders are not there then it was deleted. You can try safe mode but i doubt that would work for a restore. Sounds like the restore points are corrupted.

If you can do a restore it should bring it back if you have one back far enough. That is a major PC change. Most of the time the Restore doesnt affect profiles. But i think you might luck out wiht the application.

No you could not have turned it off. It would not delete the folder.

Cheers,
Mak

Even if the recycle bin was large enough and active, it would be doubtful you would be able to fully restore a functional copy of Office. I don't think system restore was designed to work with the recycle bin to undo blunders caused by unwanted actions.

Yup you are SOL. Purchase a new copy or contact your vendor and explain the situation and see if they can give you the CD key and install files.

You probably are SOL, but never fear. Just download a free copy of OpenOffice.org. It's almost completely as capable as MS Office and it's compatible with MS Office file formats. Plus it's free.

You probably are SOL, but never fear. Just download a free copy of OpenOffice.org. It's almost completely as capable as MS Office and it's compatible with MS Office file formats. Plus it's free.

Even with MS Office 2003 and 2007 laying around at home, I always use OpenOffice. Gotta love open source software! Wave of the future, man!

Just watch how you save documents... you might want to change your default saving convention to .doc, so that way it saves it "as" a word document... that way if you take that file in to school, or another computer with Office on it, you can re-open it and continue punching away at your term paper.

If you save it as OpenOffice's default, .odt, Microsoft will not open it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom