Accidently deleted MS Office (help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

While i do agree that OpenOffice is a good alternative since it is his parents PC they may want Office not OpenOffice. ;)

I dont think Belarc would work. Since Office is not even present on the PC anymore it wouldnt register on the Advisor and give the serial.

Cheers,
Mak

Hello,

While i do agree that OpenOffice is a good alternative since it is his parents PC they may want Office not OpenOffice. ;)
True, but sometimes you have to just take what you can get. He's a college student, so if they make him pay for a new copy of MS Office, it's probably just going to end up coming out of their own pockets. :)

There are key finders that will extract the keys of most MS products from the registry if they are still there. The Office key is most likely still in the registry even if the Office folder is gone. I don't know of any registry cleaner that will touch that part of the registry. So long as the key is legit, it should not matter where you borrow a copy from.

There are key finders that will extract the keys of most MS products from the registry if they are still there. The Office key is most likely still in the registry even if the Office folder is gone. I don't know of any registry cleaner that will touch that part of the registry. So long as the key is legit, it should not matter where you borrow a copy from.
Isn't that what registry cleaners do? They look for applications that are no longer present, then find the corresponding registry and delete them. If this wasn't the case a registry cleaner would be useless b/c it wouln't uninstall anything.

Isn't that what registry cleaners do? They look for applications that are no longer present, then find the corresponding registry and delete them. If this wasn't the case a registry cleaner would be useless b/c it wouln't uninstall anything.

Registry cleaners normally don't touch sensitive or protected areas of the registry. Because the Office folder is missing doesn't mean Office is uninstalled. There's no way to know if the Office key has been deleted by a registry cleaner until a key finder program has a chance to look for it. I'm trying to give the guy some hope.

Even if he can get his serial. He doesnt have the media. Being that it is Office 2003 there are very few of those floating around anywhere. Most are 2007 now.

So even if he could get his serial he would have a harder time trying to find a place to obtain the install media.

I am not sure which version of Office 2003 he's after, but here are some possible sources:
Snipped

Now, I can neither confirm nor deny that it's a good install nor promote the sites themselves, but it's there, if you look hard enough! ;)

Don't link torrents on TF ever. Not allowed! While it would be fine and legal for him to torrent the media and use a LEGITIMATE serial (you pay for the serial and right to use the software, after all, not the disc) it's not something we can promote actively here. It's against our User Policy and can provide us with some very bad Google Ads if kept up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom