Accidentally deleted my backup drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

turing.test

Beta member
I was reinstalling Windows Vista today (fresh install) , and during the drive selection I inadvertently clicked "delete" while the secondary drive was selected instead of the primary. This is my only backup drive. It is, of course, now not recognized as a drive. I tried booting up Ubuntu and using Gparted to fix the problem, but the only option it gives me is creating a new partition. I don't have another drive big enough to which I can extract the data.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the response. I found a file recovery program in the sticky's, but the problem is that I have more data on my backup drive than I have space on my primary drive. Is there any way to repair the backup drive so that Windows detects it? No data was deleted, only the partition sector.

No, sorry. It only costs about 45 bucks on newegg to get a 320Gb drive though. Depending on how important this data is to you, even a terabyte drive retails for under a hundred.

I used the file recovery program from the Windows sticky and it found 16000+ files, but when I save them to my primary drive, they show up as files named: cluster10164859.* and all of them are corrupted. None will open. Windows apparently knows what kind of files they are -- the extentions are still there -- but nothing will open properly. Why is it that when a boot sector or MBR gets damaged, it can be fixed easily, but not a secondary drive? Is there no utility for fixing this?

Another weird issue is that the vast majority of recovered files seem to be .xls, but I don't use Excel at all. I don't think I've even used it once on this install...

You might want to try a different recovery program. Some recover files by folder hierarchy, which makes finding the files you need easier.
Unfortunately some files ARE corrupt and/or have their original titles erased/removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom