accidentally blanked a word document, can i recover it? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 08:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

if you didnt save it, or blanked it out, you cant recover it

Old 07-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #12 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

unless you tried the undo button also.....

Old 07-25-2006, 10:47 AM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
if you didnt save it, or blanked it out, you cant recover it
OK i tried a few of thses undelete programs and one of them i got a previous version of the file. This is an ok version but the problem is, when i recovered it, it was simply a bunch of incomprehensible code. it is the same size, but a bunch of weird characters. the weird thing is it actually does have a few paragraphs of normal text that was in the file. but the rest is just a bunch of strange characters.

When i clikc to open it it asks me to insert a disc from MS Office becuase. but i dont have this disk.

Word says "Microsoft Word can't import the specified format. This feature is not installed. Would you like to install it now?" Then it asks me for the disc but i odnt have it!
Old 07-25-2006, 10:49 AM   #14 (permalink)

thats because it was setup as a complete install
Old 07-25-2006, 12:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Newb Techie

so what do i do?
Old 07-25-2006, 12:27 PM   #16 (permalink)

find an office cd
Old 07-25-2006, 12:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Newb Techie

you mean that will decode it? the original file was fine. so i buy a ms office 2000 disc?

thx 4 help
Old 07-25-2006, 01:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by IIIIIIIIIIIIIII
OK i tried a few of thses undelete programs and one of them i got a previous version of the file. This is an ok version but the problem is, when i recovered it, it was simply a bunch of incomprehensible code. it is the same size, but a bunch of weird characters. the weird thing is it actually does have a few paragraphs of normal text that was in the file. but the rest is just a bunch of strange characters.
Where did you install those undelete programs? I hope on a separate hard disk from the file, because from my own experience, the more programs/data you installed/saved in your hard disk since that mistake, the more likely the file will be overwritten and the least likely you will be able to recover the file in its original stage. That's why, I think, you saw a bunch of weird characters. I'm not aware of any program that can help you repair that though I hope someone out there can suggest one.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by mikee
Lol that was rude,

if you have had the document for a few days you could try to system restore back to a day when you had it, or most of it

Does System Restore also restore SAVED file to its ORIGINAL state? Correct me if I'm wrong cos from my experience, System Restore (or Norton GoBack program for that matter) only restores the computer to a state earlier in time, program wise, but leaving saved files as they are and not to their earlier state.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:32 PM   #20 (permalink)
Newb Techie

oh **** yes i did install the undelete program on c:. it probably says it in the help file but i dont remember any warning not to install it on the same disk.

Closed Thread