So, I have twin Maxtor SATAs, 160gb/ea, RAID 0 via Intel's ICH5 (along with a third 80gb Western Digital PATA, which is used for backup only.) I've been looking for a little "something extra," and the two main considerations were:
- Spring for a 36.7gb Raptor for OS/Apps (and possibly get rid of one of the Maxtors), or;
Which brings me to the decision - I have a Windows backup script that runs nightly to archive anything and everything even remotely important and/or extensive (such as the 21 gigs across 3,800+ .mp3s, which is why that 80 gig drive is backup only), and I'll also be making an external DVD copy of documents of various sorts that I want secured. That said, is $120 really worthwhile to give my system a 10,000rpm kiss (in which case, there'd be an XP reinstall, anyway) or should I just go ahead and start from scratch, considering it's been quite some time / program installs/uninstalls / configging / etc since the last time I've done that? If I do, since I'm on what's essentially a neutered RAID (at least, according to some people I know), should I even bother keeping them striped?
Of course, the added benefit is that this would be my opportunity to destroy the RAID volume, as it was completely screwing my attempts to get Anaconda to recognize the drive configuration when I was trying to install/dual-boot with FC4. But ... I dunno.