Abnormal Issue with Media (.avi) files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adfest

Beta member
I have a rather strange problem with video files crashing Windows Explorer and various media players.

All it takes is opening the folder where said video file is and highlighting the file or files. I then get the "Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry bla bla bla"
I am still able to ignore the error report window and move and open (or attempt to open in this case) the offending files.

If I attempt to open them with Windows Media Player, Winamp, DivX, Etc, the video will not play, and I get another "this and this program has encountered a problem and needs to close".

When I move the questionable video files to another PC, they can be opened and played without any of the above issues. I've scanned the snot out of my PC for a virus and spyware with no luck. For the first time in my years of banging heads with computers, I'm stuck...

For the love of all that is good and holy. Someone tell me they know what this is and how to fix it. Please?

If you need any more details, I will be more than happy to provide them. I'll even have a few miles of "technical informaiton about the error report" if you think it will help. It didn't do me any good as I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag.

What kind of Video File is it and where did you get it? Does this happen with all Video Files or just this one?

I can wager to guess that the file in question is corrupt or contains a virus and therefor can not play.

That was my first thought when the problem started. But I discovered that it happens with all the files of the same type and the files that don't work on this PC will work just fine on another.

The file type is .AVI

Have you tried to get a codec? Google KLite Codec pack. It is one of the best codec packs i have tried and it works well. That might solve your issue.

That was it! I already had that fine codec pack installed, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a juicy new re-install.

During the uninstallation of my old codec pack, I got a message informing me about something broken in the registry (I tried to get a screen shot for future reference, but I forot about it and restarted). That is fixed and everything is just ducky!

Thanks for the help.

Adfest said:
That was it! I already had that fine codec pack installed, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to give it a juicy new re-install.

During the uninstallation of my old codec pack, I got a message informing me about something broken in the registry (I tried to get a screen shot for future reference, but I forot about it and restarted). That is fixed and everything is just ducky!

Thanks for the help.

ok.. i have divxpro, and like you i decided to just install this.

And i got a message showing something in my registry being broken too...

Ive never had problems with my files, except this problem with games on shockwave player..

im scared :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom