98SE compaired to 98?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomW

In Runtime
I can borrow a 98SE disk if I want, Is SE much different or better than 98? Would I have to get rid of 98 before installing 98SE? Tom

I can't remember the actual differences between the 2 but I do know that 98se has a few more perks than just plain old 98. Better Gaming and Media and I think more colors on the Adaptor side But You can do the upgrade without any problems. A clean install is better but ya have to format your HD & Lose everything. Upgrading 95 to 98 was a problem but ya should be OK with what ya wanta do here. It's still a FAT 32 System.

98 2nd got rid of the bugs in 98. Sure it is better, but there will no or little support for W98 or W98 2nd ed. very long as I understand it. :(

I might be wrong, but that is why i upgraded to XP and it's problems...well, one reason. :) also upgraded computer :)

Hi, The old PC I tried to put SE on started to act weird, freezing all the time and things not working so I tried to do a clean install of SE but it would not work, I would get all kinds of can't find file messages so I tried to install 98 again but get the same thing. I had it on line a while with norton up to date but I think something got into it and screwed it up. I thought the CD rom might be getting bad but it does the same thing with another one. Tom

I hooked it up to our good PC and formated the harddrive after the problems started, I also formated again when installing the 98. I was also using it to test the Dimm from my other old PC and they were both bad so maybe the bad Dimm could have screwed things up? Tom

This will be alittle off topic, but I have been using this PC for checking different things and I am wondering if pluging in and unpluging the power alot while working on it can cause problems. Tom

Mmm...

Now I like lio said, 98SE IS better then 98. (Talking drivers and bugs...)

Now putting bad memory in a pc doesn't screw the other components, if it freeze and you unplug or cold boot the system, you may corrupt files. Not always but it is a possibility.

For the cd's, maybe it's not the CD-Rom that is bad, check the actual CD Drive by putting your new CD-Rom drive in the old machine...

Does it freezes in windows or in the installation by the way?

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom