64bt XPpro - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default 64bt XPpro

My computer has two drives "C" and "D" each of 130 GB.

Drive "C" is my default drive and has the 32 bit XPpro/SP2/IE7 with 50 odd programs and a mass of video data.

Formatted and installed 180 day trial 64 bt XPpro on to "D" and was able to update it with the 50 odd Microsoft 64 bit updates.

But then I tried to revert my "C" drive to default by modifying System/Advanced\Settings and when I did so and rebooted found that I had now got 2 select default drives and "D" refused to open. But worse was that some programs on "C" refused to work properly even when re-installed

I was able to back up data from "C" on to and external usb connected drive "Z" and then went through the process of completely re-installing "C" and removing 64 bit XP pro from "D" with a full blooded security scan.

Anyone know anything about this? And what can be done about the 64 bit version always tryng to be the default OS.

A8N/SLI with AMD 64 bit 4200 and twin video cards

Old 12-22-2006, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

you should have set it to default in msconfig under the boot.ini tab

The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 12-22-2006, 09:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default 64 bit XPpro

I tried that too, but the 64 bit version still, on boot up, said it was the default. I just never found how to stop this happening
Closed Thread