64bit XP support

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skodster

Solid State Member
I have just built a ECS KN1-SLi based system with a PNY geForce 7600GT 256mb card and an Athlon 64bit dualcore 3800mhz CPU. I am running the original XP.

The questions -

1. Is there a version of XP that supports 64bit dual core processors?
2. Where can I get hold of a complete XP update to bring it up to date.
3. Will these updates improve the performance of my new system and if so, in what way?

I have been having a few glitchy type problems with FS2004 and I am hoping that the updated XP may make things better.

Okay
1. Yes it is called...XP64 Pro X64.
2. http://windowsupdate.com/
3. No these will not make your system faster. The only thing that will do that is faster RAM and CPU. these updates will make your system less insecure and therefor less likely to be taken over by a hacker.

Be warned that the driver support for XP X64 is even less than Regular 32 Bit XP. So you might not have drivers for all of your hardware. I would advise checking all of you device manufacturer's sites to make sure they have drivers first.

If by #2 you are asking where to get a copy of XP Pro X64 then go to Google and do a product search. Either that or NEwEgg.

Thanks for that.

I was asking about a disc (Free with magazine type?) so I wouldn't have to download hundreds of mb in files.

Is there just one file to download from MS that brings the whole lot up to date?

Skodster said:
I have just built a ECS KN1-SLi based system with a PNY geForce 7600GT 256mb card and an Athlon 64bit dualcore 3800mhz CPU.

The AMD Athlon 3800+ isn't 3800 mhz, and it's not dual-core. It is 64-bit though.

AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2 runs at 2.0ghz.

You wont see much of a difference running 64bit because all apllications are still 32bit. You might see a slight increase in performance when loaded the O/S.

Skodster said:
Thanks for that.

I was asking about a disc (Free with magazine type?) so I wouldn't have to download hundreds of mb in files.

Is there just one file to download from MS that brings the whole lot up to date?
Simple answer. No. For all the above.

M$ doesnt give out any promo discs with XP Pro X64.

There is also no single download. Other than AutoPatcher but then again it is still a couple hundred MB in size but it is all of the patches from SP2 to Oct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom