64bit os worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crap6892

In Runtime
I have a amd 64 3000 cpu. I have been running this on xp 32 bit but have a copy of 64bit. I have herd bad things about win 64 bit os. Is it worth it to install win xp 64. I can get the drivers i need

Got this from APC mag

Microsoft: WHY DID THEY EVEN BOTHER

I bought the retail version of XP Pro 64 with my new system.
So far I have problems with Webcam, and apparently there are no drivers for any digital camera of any description, anywere in the world.

WEBCAM: I've herd rumours that Creative has a Webcam driver
for their cmeras in beta. Great! I can throw my brand new cam away and buy one from the only one to show interest.

LAN network: Call me dumb, but I would have thought that at
least the LAN would work. Thanks MS, I now have cables draped all over my house.

Games: Not a single one works properly, ether. I have found that turning off one CPU seems to enable a few of them to run.
Pretty much every 32-bit program I try crashes to the destop after a few minutes under default settings. Thanks to CPU
affinity, at least some of them can run, albeit at the cost of shutting off half the machine. Thanks MS for an os that allows
a dual-CPU machine to work at almost the level of performance that can be achieved with a single CPU.
CHAT: Well at least this mainly works. Of course MS only makes MSN Messenger 4 in 64-bit, so if you actually want to do stuff beyond text chat, you will have to dump it and get the 32-bit 7.5 And oof cours, you can forget the webcam.

Browser: Of coures, MS has supplied two browsers. While there is a 64-bit version of IE, you will find yourself using the 32-bit version mostly as the 64-bit one doesen't display some pages properly, allow updates or anything useful like that. If even MS can't write programs to work properly on thier own os, I guess I can't realy blame third parties whose stuff doesen't work.
I could rant on for ages, but that would be counter-productive.
My Adice: Thinking of going 64-bit? Wait for Vista.

Despite the bias of people who don't even use it I used it at friends at family and now at my own home. So happy I moved up yes I do think it is worth it. As always before you build make sure there are 64 bit drivers availible in your case double check before you upgrade.

bradybnmci my entire machine has the proper drivers, my media card reader has the proper drivers, my Xbox360 controller for windows has x64 drivers, my external Harddrive has the drivers, even my printer has the drivers. To top it off most were detected natively besides the printer, controller for windows, and a few minor things. Don't tell me they are non existant. Just look before you upgrade as always.

i know there are drivers and i have had a 64 bit cpu just not running on the 64 os. I was wondering if it ran properly 32 bit programs and such.

TheHeadFL said:
I have been using x64 Professional since May and couldn't be happier. Fast and stable as ****.
Thank you! you see the people who don't have it say it's crap but the people who have it and use it love it could they be jelious? ;) also do not listen to the people who say there is no 64 bit anti virus either because there is Avast is 64 bit everything will eventually migrate and we can already start to see it happen.

Fast, Stable, Compatible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

crap6892 yes it does run 32 bit programs it will only not run a select few and these few programs are migrating to 64 bit. You can see the difference because it will have *32 for 32 bit in the task manager.

tyler you will just throw the disc away in another month or so just like you did vista after you proclaimed it was the best os ever and vista still ain't working right

lemme see here.....would it be faster to run a 64 bit proc in 32 bit software or 64 bit proc with 64bit software? Instead of a P4 32bit proc taking 2 swipes at 32 bit code, with a 64 bit proc, it will take 1 pass right? This is sorta like a 350 chevy V8 with 400 hp in a heavy truck and a 4.3 vortec V6 with 400hp in a light truck... they will run about the same, or something like that anyways.

Yes you'er right Eric I will. Upgrading to Vista x64 right away perhaps or I may wait a week weeks to see how the transition goes. Never did I say it is the best ever but it is very good even for being in a beta form currently. Nor did I say x64 edition is the best ever it is also very good and surpasses the 32 bit edition. I did say 2K was bad compaired to the rest but not the worst this has been brought up enough by you now and you have gotten my answer several times why bring it up.

The fact of the matter is XP x64 is Fast, Stable, and Compatible there is no reason to hold a person's performance back if it works better than the 32 bit edition.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warez they are on par now perhaps but with everything migrating to x64 it will soon become much faster you can already start to see the transition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom