64-bit or 32-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

blyver

Baseband Member
I'm thinking of picking up Vista for use with my new computer, and I'm wondering whether it would be better to get the 32-bit or 64-bit version. I'll be using the computer for gaming, movies, surfing web, etc, typical usage. I would go for the 64-bit, but I'm worried about compatibility issues. Are there substantial advantages to 64-bit or should I stick with the 32-bit for now?

Hello,

64-bit Vista has some improved security features over the 32-bit edition. Most notably, Kernel Patch Protection (aka PatchGuard).

And of course, increased RAM capabilities.

The simple thing is, if you check to make sure that all your hardware is 64-bit compatible (with Vista x64 drivers available) before getting Vista x64, then you shouldn't run into compatibility issues.

If all your hardware is compatible, then I would go 64-bit.

There are some other known issues with 64 Bit. I have at least 6 people i know that have come across BSOD's with the 64 Bit while they can run the 32 Bit jsut fine. As well as run the 64 Bit version of XP jsut fine. There is something with the accessing of RAM that messes up the 64 Bit version of Vista. Just a forewarning.

Here is my hardware:

Core 2 Duo E6750
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R 775 mobo
2gb G.Skill F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ ram
Samsung Spinpoint 7200 RPM 500 GB hard drive
Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7
Samsung DVD burner
Samsung SyncMaster 216BW monitor
EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 320
Corsair 520HX psu

I'll check into it, but I think my hardware would all be fine. But aren't there software compatibility issues to worry about as well? And the BSODs that
Makaveli mentioned are kind of scaring me. Has anyone else had negative experiences with Vista 64-bit?

blyver your system should run 64 Bit Vista just fine. The issues mentioned are with 4GB of RAM installed and dual 8800 GTX Video Cards. Which in effects gives the system over 5.5 GB of recognized RAM. Even though there is only 4GB installed it still recognizes the 1.5 GB from teh video cards. It is mostly a driver issue as well.

illnastyimpreza-
No that is not true. I have found no problems running any of my XP apps on Vista at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom