5 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModerNietz

Baseband Member
I have three questions here:

1.I'm learning dreamweaver,I come across the part of testing the web server,where I have problems.Please read it first:

Testing the web server
To test the web server, create a simple HTML page with an .htm or .html file extension and save it in the Inetpub\wwwroot folder on your computer. The HTML page can consist of a single line, such as:

My web server is working.</p>

Save the page as myTestFile.htm. Next, open the test page in a web browser with an HTTP request. If PWS or IIS is running on your local computer, enter the following URL in your web browser:

http://localhost/myTestFile.htm

If PWS or IIS is running on a networked computer, use the networked computer¡¯s name as the domain name. For example, if the name of the computer running PWS or IIS is kojak-pc, enter the following URL in your browser:

http://kojak-pc/myTestFile.htm

Note: For more information on computer names, see Web server basics.

If the browser displays your page, the web server is running normally.

If the browser fails to display the page, make sure the server is running. Double-click the web server icon in the system tray (the icon looks like a hand holding a web page). The Personal Web Manager dialog box appears. If the Publishing panel tells you web publishing is off, click the Start button.

If the page still fails to open, make sure your test page is located in the Inetpub\wwwroot folder and has an .htm or .html file extension.

I did as the instrustion tells me to do,I visited http://localhost/myTestFile.html,this appears:

My web server is working.</p>,where

and </p> are not supposed to appear.Then what I had to do is to "Double-click the web server icon in the system tray",BUT,How?Anyone can help me?

2 When viewing a folder's properties,we can see Type,Location,Size,Size on disk...Here I have a question.What's the difference between Size and Size on disk?

3 I'm using win2000,how can I make a passward for a specific folder or file.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For issue 1:

If you open up regedit and navigate to the following locations, you will see a list of the processes that are slated with a startup status.

Be VERY carefull, deleting certain registry entries can render your OS useless. What you can do is look at the list of entries in both locations listed below and decided what services don't need to be there. Such as "msmsgs" which is the MS Messenger, Qtime (Quick time) etc. Again... BE VERY CAREFULL

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

and

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Run

HKCU = HKey_Current_User
HKLM = HKey_Local_Machine

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,it works!

quote:
This should work, and is a lot easier than getting into the registry. Hit START, RUN, type MSCONFIG, click STARTUP, then uncheck anything you don't want to run on startup.

Thank you.But when I type msconfig,I was informed cannot find file.

posted: 09-25-2004 at 02:20 AM Report this post | IP Logged

quote:
Issue 2:

How do you know that you have 2 OS's installed, are you getting some sort of message when you boot up? Also, what OS are you running.

My original operating system is Win2000,I once intendedly install another operating system to test something,which is Chinese Win2000.And now I want to delete it because every time I boot up,there is a "choice" message,I have to wait and choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom