5 minutes for a windows shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blue4paper

In Runtime
Alright my problem is simple, wither i'm restarting the computer or shutting it down, it takes 5 minutes. But when i boot my computer it takes a measly 50 seconds.

-I've scanned for spyware/adware/malmare/viruses/trojans yada yada. Nothing
-I've tweaked my computer, i have something like 8 startup programs. Including all the, already, essential ones.
-I've done registry cleanups, registry defrags, The works. Yet nothing

Also what i dont get it jsut recently started happening too. The only thing different i've done within the past 2 weeks or so, was get my Zune. I did by chance have some Zune problems i installed the software worked great and everything, but my tv wasn't working i thought it was a problem with the Zune so i did a system restore. But then my zune software wouldn't install anymore it kept coming up with an error. So i restored my computer back before my first restoration, and realized i cant watch tv and have my zune plugged in at the same time.
But i was thinking after i had done so many restores i might have caused a problem, I'm not too sure.

Any Help would be appreciated

It takes so long to shut down cause it has to save everything. From you Window Defaults to your profile. Anything that has had a change from the last time you restarted has to be saved.

But if it take 5 minutes everytime, doesn't that mean something is wrong, not just regular file saving?

Not necessarily. It depends on the amount of changes being made per session. I know personally that i leave my PC running for days so it takes 5 minutes or more to save my profile and restart correctly. It just depends on the amount of stuff you do. If you just log in and then restart and it still takes 5 minutes. Then i would worry.

Yes but if it just recently started taking 5 minutes to shut down....there must be something wrong. Also i shut my computer off at 9-10 ish every day and boot it back up when i get back from school around 4:30 ish. Except on weekends when i keep it on all day.

Sorry i forgot to mention this but....when it says "logging off " and saving settings" those 2 parts last about... 5 seconds? not even the "shutting down" part takes 5 minutes. My account gets saved quite fast.

Any other theories?

P.S i only have about 4 gig left on my 80 gig not enough space could cause a partial slow down, perhaps.

I'm also getting a 160 gig hard drive within this week so that should fix that problem up.

The general rule that I've always heard is to keep 4GB or 15% (whichever is bigger) of your HD free for optimum performance. I've been well below that with no obvious slowing down though...

Your computer has to close all of the programs that it was running in the background when it shuts down. If you set it to not load as many programs at startup your shutdown time will probably decrease dramatically

Try this:

START
RUN
enter "msconfig"
under the "general" tab, select "Selective Startup"
uncheck the "load startup items" box

This will stop a lot of programs from starting up immediately when you start the computer. Most of them also wont have to be shut down when you shut the computer down, so this might make things run more smoothly

If you go to the "startup" tab, you will see these programs.

All boxes should be unchecked, because of what I just told you to do
check the boxes corresponding to the things that you know you do want to start at startup and ask about things if you are unsure about them. Everything here can be reversed, so don't worry too much about permanently causing a problem. But you will want to re-check antivirus programs, etc.

But 5 min. isn't an insanely long shut down time, so I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it gets a lot worse or other stuff starts to go wrong...

I don't care if you left the computer on for 2 months. A 5 minute shutdown time is ridiculous. Unfortunately I have nothing to offer to the table. What Windows version are you running? I had abnormally slow shutdown times with Vista... easily pushing 2 minutes despite the fact I power down my laptop about twice a day, have 2gb of ram, and had NOTHING on the startup. With XP, it takes maybe 11 seconds and it's off. Not that I'm blaming Vista... just telling you my experience with this new machine and 2 different Windows OS's for comparison reasons.

Long shutdown - Google Search

Want a answer. Use google. Since apparently someon trying to give a answer isnt appreciated. Is that good for a theory?

Jayce...yes it is appropiate for a 5 Minute shutdown. When you have over 1TB of drive space being monitored and you install/uninstall applications all the time cause you are a beta tester. Then you can say it is ridiculous for that. I know it can happen. Tell me someone with XP and 128MB of RAM it doesnt take 5 minutes to shut down. I will call you a liar.

welcome to windows. I had that issue before my last reformat. I run acrooss that problems a few times. it usually from some poorly written software.
I would just hold the power button down after a minute or so.

Want a answer. Use google. Since apparently someon trying to give a answer isnt appreciated. Is that good for a theory?

Sorry i didn't mean using "theory" as something sarcastic as those ideas useless. I'm sorry if thats what you got from it >.> Just wanted to know if anyone had any other ideas since i had already done the ones posted and they didn't work. Didn't mean any offense on that part.

Yeah i suppose the long shutdown could be caused by a numerous amount of things. Personally the 5 minute shutdown isn't too much of a pain considering i shut my computer off only at night right before i go to sleep.
But if ever I'm switching to ubuntu thats when it becomes annoying.

I still think it might have to do with my Zune though.

By the way you can rule out physical part of my computer being slow. I've got 1.5 gig ram Pentium 4 3ghz.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom