5 minute, 49 second boot up time, please help! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default 5 minute, 49 second boot up time, please help!

Yes that title is correct, right now I have a boot time of 5 minutes 49 seconds. My computer used to have a 35 second boot time, until recently. Two days ago I format reinstalled my computer to organize my files. Ever since then it's been over 5 minutes to boot up from powering on my computer to seeing my desktop. I've tried format reinstalling and that did nothing, it still took 5 minutes+ to boot. I ran the windows repair utility and it didn't solve anything. I have Windows XP SP2, not sure what version. Any help is greatly appreciated, I can't seem to fix this problem. Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

Old 04-06-2007, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Default Re: 5 minute, 49 second boot up time, please help!

There are a few possibilities, but since it happened after you reinstalled XP, I'd say it's more than likely a driver issue. Make sure you have all the correct drivers installing and configured properly.

Old 04-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenOswyn View Post
There are a few possibilities, but since it happened after you reinstalled XP, I'd say it's more than likely a driver issue. Make sure you have all the correct drivers installing and configured properly.
Everything is updated. Same drivers, had them on a CD that I backed up.
Old 04-08-2007, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Techie

make sure you only have programs you want to run on the boot up. Go the the start menu and click run. Type msconfig in the box and press enter, When you get the screen go to startup and disable what you dont need, Also you could go to services and disable stuff there to. Try it, might speed up your boot up time
Old 04-09-2007, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsquad View Post
make sure you only have programs you want to run on the boot up. Go the the start menu and click run. Type msconfig in the box and press enter, When you get the screen go to startup and disable what you dont need, Also you could go to services and disable stuff there to. Try it, might speed up your boot up time
I tried MSconfig, I've also tried running windows hidden boot defraagger (runs to defrag files used during boot up for faster boot). I've also tried running in safe mode (negates all programs and unneeded services for boot) and it took the same boot time. I jsut installed a german version of windows and it dropped the boot time down to 2 minutes 36 seconds, im going to try findingg another version of windows and see if that will do anything. If anyone has some more in-depths fixes for this (beyond msconfig and spyware/anti-virus programs) I would love to hear them. I tried using BootVis and I cant seem to diagnose this problem.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Amd2800 Send a message via AIM to Amd2800 Send a message via Yahoo to Amd2800

try Windows Vista

Dell Studio 1747 Laptop
CPU : Intel I7 - Q720 @ 1.66Ghz - Ram: 4GB Ram DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel - Mobo : Dell - HDD: 2x 500GB Sata 2 - OS1: Windows 7 Ultimate X64

Quote:
I want a processor in my brain..... Can i upgrade my ram?

Old 04-09-2007, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd2800 View Post
try Windows Vista

Negative.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Are you using the same version of windows as when you use to before? And what are your system specs?
Old 04-09-2007, 08:20 PM   #9 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amd2800 View Post
try Windows Vista
lol

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

K, bare with me because most will say "well, it worked before!" First of all, disconnect all periphs (printers, scanners, joysticks, network cable, etc) and see what happens. Also, does it take a long time to post or is it during the windows is loading screen, or are you getting just a black screen AFTER post (important to note if it's a post delay), you may, if the above didn't work, disconnect you floppy if avail and any dvd/cd drives you have and try again. This is not a fix, only trying to pin point the problem.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread