5 minute, 49 second boot up time, please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

otbpaintball

Beta member
Yes that title is correct, right now I have a boot time of 5 minutes 49 seconds. My computer used to have a 35 second boot time, until recently. Two days ago I format reinstalled my computer to organize my files. Ever since then it's been over 5 minutes to boot up from powering on my computer to seeing my desktop. I've tried format reinstalling and that did nothing, it still took 5 minutes+ to boot. I ran the windows repair utility and it didn't solve anything. I have Windows XP SP2, not sure what version. Any help is greatly appreciated, I can't seem to fix this problem. Thank you in advance for anyone's help.

There are a few possibilities, but since it happened after you reinstalled XP, I'd say it's more than likely a driver issue. Make sure you have all the correct drivers installing and configured properly.

There are a few possibilities, but since it happened after you reinstalled XP, I'd say it's more than likely a driver issue. Make sure you have all the correct drivers installing and configured properly.

Everything is updated. Same drivers, had them on a CD that I backed up.

make sure you only have programs you want to run on the boot up. Go the the start menu and click run. Type msconfig in the box and press enter, When you get the screen go to startup and disable what you dont need, Also you could go to services and disable stuff there to. Try it, might speed up your boot up time :D

make sure you only have programs you want to run on the boot up. Go the the start menu and click run. Type msconfig in the box and press enter, When you get the screen go to startup and disable what you dont need, Also you could go to services and disable stuff there to. Try it, might speed up your boot up time :D

I tried MSconfig, I've also tried running windows hidden boot defraagger (runs to defrag files used during boot up for faster boot). I've also tried running in safe mode (negates all programs and unneeded services for boot) and it took the same boot time. I jsut installed a german version of windows and it dropped the boot time down to 2 minutes 36 seconds, im going to try findingg another version of windows and see if that will do anything. If anyone has some more in-depths fixes for this (beyond msconfig and spyware/anti-virus programs) I would love to hear them. I tried using BootVis and I cant seem to diagnose this problem.

Are you using the same version of windows as when you use to before? And what are your system specs?

K, bare with me because most will say "well, it worked before!" First of all, disconnect all periphs (printers, scanners, joysticks, network cable, etc) and see what happens. Also, does it take a long time to post or is it during the windows is loading screen, or are you getting just a black screen AFTER post (important to note if it's a post delay), you may, if the above didn't work, disconnect you floppy if avail and any dvd/cd drives you have and try again. This is not a fix, only trying to pin point the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom