32 vs 64

If you really want to jump some RAM cards, you'll need a conductive adhesive. I wouldn't recommend jumping them as the wire you use to jump them might introduce too much resistance into the system. This could, in turn, cause your cards to produce way too much heat. One thing you can do to mitigate this is submerge the cards in a coolant, such as liquid nitrogen.

But in all seriousness, No, alligator clips are NOT a good idea. :p

In regards to RAM density, they make 64GB sticks of DDR3L and DDR4 for servers, and only servers... A lot of Dell tower servers, and work stations utilize riser cards that have 8 to 16 slots on the card, but plugs into what appears to be a regular DIMM slot, this is system specific though. 128GB and 256GB sticks are just around the corner... For the enterprise market that is. Can't really go above 32GB memory without ECC, and consumer grade products mostly don't support ECC, unless you got lucky with an AMD CPU that supports ECC.

I ran 64GB without ECC just fine, you just can't run any crucial data through non-ECC but regular consumer crap is just fine. Consumer devices typically aren't made for ECC spec simply because it's slower and 99% of consumers don't need error correction.

Saw somewhere in here about 32bit not capable of using more than 4GB, that is untrue. Somebody should link this man an article about PAE.

32bit can't address more than 4GB per application even with PAE. But the system can have more if the OS supports PAE.

@PP; when did you have a 64GB stick? I ain't talking about 4x16GB, I am talking about a single stick where you have 64GB on it, typically used in servers that have 512GB to 1TB of RAM. At such densities you do want ECC if you value your data, if your gaming it's useless, but anyone that does any kind of work on their PC, IMO, at that density (32GB/64GB per DIMM), should seek ECC. There is a reason most all GOOD workstations are built with ECC.

As for the comment about consumer devices typically not being made to utilize ECC, AMD for two entire generations supported ECC on all their processors, and they probably still have some form of ECC support in a few of their current ones.

To my knowledge the consumer boards don't support it making the processors support it moot. Not much reason for consumer ECC support anyways.

As to 64GB, I thought you meant total, not in a stick.

Back on topic, yes a single application cannot address more than 4GB, but the misconception is that 32bit can't handle more than 3.5GB of RAM. You can have a PAE system with 8GB, it just won't let apps run 'typically' more than 2GB a piece because most all 32bit apps are made to run within a 2GB envelope. At that point might as well get a 64bit OS.

Back
Top Bottom