32-bit WinXP question, regarding RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

White_Wolf

Baseband Member
I've heard that 32-bit Windows cannot recognize more than 4 gigs of RAM, and that number is actually lower due to complicated factors it ends up being 3.2GB

So my question is: If I build a PC with dual channel memory support, stick two 2GB ram DDR2 modules in there, will I get 3.2 GB of single channel RAM, or will I get 3.2 GB of dual channel RAM?

Whoops, I meant to stick this in the software section of the fourm.

Oh well. In order to make it more hardware related, let me ask my second question:
Another question in regards to dual channel DDR2 ram. If my mobo runs a 400MHz bus, and I stick two DDR2-800 modules in there, I am running at a total of 1600, but because DDR2 is double rate, and dual memory is double that rate, I am technically only running 400MHz. Is that correct?

And yet a third question: is saying "RAM Module" and "RAM stick" the same thing, or does stick and module refer to something different?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/difference-between-32-bit-x86-64-bit-x64-171390/#post1349279

You will only get 3.2GB recognized. Be it dual channel or single channel. Which ever you are running. So if you are running Dual Channel it will be dual channel. That doesnt affect it at all.

The RAM speeds are independent. You wouldnt double the speed cause it is dual channel. They will still only run at 800 MHz even in Dual Channel mode. Since your mobo is only configured for 400MHz they will only run at that speed if the RAM is capable fo running at slower speeds.

No. Ram stick and RAM Module are the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom