32 bit computer with 64 bit OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

808Alaska

In Runtime
Hey everyone. i was wondering what would happen if i were to install a 64 bit OS on a computer that originally had a 32 bit OS? would anything wrong happen?

and what piece/s of hardware determines what type of OS needs to be installed on it? is it just the processor or other hardware also?

As long as the cpu is 64bit no problem.

keep in mind you cannot upgrade from 32bit to 64bit it must be a clean install.

It will run a 64-bit OS, but it won't be able to use Win7's XP mode.

Now the question comes up. Why?

Meaning why the push to go to 64 Bit? I mean unless the PC has over 4GB of RAM you really are not going to gain anything by pushing a single core CPU to 64 Bit OS. You actually may find that you dont have the proper drivers for 64 Bit and that some of your apps may not work.

Have you checked FIRST if you have proper drivers for 64 Bit and all the apps you want to use can be used?

I mean i can understand that 64 Bit is the future, but for a old laptop like that, you could actually hurt the performance by trying to go 64 Bit.

Well i was just wondering. why is it that it would hurt the performance? and why couldnt it run XP mode? can you guys explain in detail?

Well it could hurt the performance because a 64 Bit Os is made more for multi core CPU's. While a single core can run it fine, the truth is you may not see the performance that you would with a 32 Bit OS. Being a older CPU and a Celeron it isnt made for ultra high performance. It is a lower end CPU.

It cant run XP Mode because that is strictly hardware based. The CPU itself must support virtualization. According to the specs psoted the very first item on the list on the right side is Virtualization which it states that it does not support. Which is the very main factor in determining if XP Mode can be used.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/support/faq.aspx

That page gives more information. But simply put the CPU doesnt support the main factor that determines if XP Mode can be used. So it wont support XP Mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom