32 -> 64 bit. What kind of drivers are needed? - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 12:58 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: 32 -> 64 bit. What kind of drivers are needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadjay View Post
your 64bit OS will find most standard drivers (EX- touchpad, keyboard, chipset generic sound cards cd rom ect...) anything fancy like scanners, printers, good graphic cards, decent sound cards, tv-tuners, and wireless will need to find 64bit drivers. you can find them by going to the manufactures website.
when i experimented with vista 64bit i found if a 64bit driver was not available for vista, but there was one for xp, SOMETIMES that one works. (my epson printer anyways)

in my own research i found that going 64bit really provides jack in performance increase *currently* (i know this will start a debate) but there is no true 64bit processor on the market for home computing, plus most apps are designed for 32 bit environments. the only real benefit of a 64 bit OS is the security. and for the security you will give up compatibility.
have you tried nero recode 2? specifically designed to use 4 processor if you have them. win dvd creator? adobe?

I have. I have a tri-boot system. xp 64 is my video encoder xp. it's kill the 32 bit version in time and performance for video relate applications.

some people actually cared enuff to write 64 bit applications. I know most people don't. that will change over time when people get to understand it's vastly superior potential over 32 bit. then maybe I can use it as a full time system

remember when 32 bit first came out? people were saying the exact same things that you just said

Old 10-01-2007, 12:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to abadjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
add a mobo driver
there is not just *one* mobo driver. a motherboard consists of many many many pieces of hardware that require drivers, most of which will be automatically detected by XP x64, unless there is fancy RAID or sound on the board.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Send a message via AIM to abadjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricB View Post
have you tried nero recode 2? specifically designed to use 4 processor if you have them. win dvd creator? adobe?

I have. I have a tri-boot system. xp 64 is my video encoder xp. it's kill the 32 bit version in time and performance for video relate applications.

some people actually cared enuff to write 64 bit applications. I know most people don't. that will change over time when people get to understand it's vastly superior potential over 32 bit. then maybe I can use it as a full time system

remember when 32 bit first came out? people were saying the exact same things that you just said
true true! i have not personally tried nero recode 2 in an x64 environment, but ill take your word for it. its ashame there is not more nicely written x64 apps out.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Originally Posted by abadjay View Post
there is not just *one* mobo driver. a motherboard consists of many many many pieces of hardware that require drivers, most of which will be automatically detected by XP x64, unless there is fancy RAID or sound on the board.
.... he's using all onboard stuff except for the Video Card.... so he just needs a Mobo driver.... but RAID Controller is noteworthy....

also don't double post.. theres an edit button right here... use it please..

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Closed Thread