30 days to activate XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default 30 days to activate XP

I have a question regarding the computer I built.

I just installed Windows XP with a disk I had lying around. A message keeps saying I have 30 days to activate it. I tried to activate it and it wouldnÂ’t let me. I guess because it has been activated already a while ago (I think I remember doing it a little while ago on my old computer). My question is what happens at the end of the 30 days? Does my computer blow up? jk - but seriously, what is going to happen?

Old 02-28-2007, 12:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Dunnue what happens.

Just call MS and say you need a new key, you reformated because of a virus or something. If they ask about other computers, say this is the ONLY one you ever used that disk on.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

At the end of 30 days, your computer won't fully boot to Windows. It will just boot to the login screen and not allow you to go any farther until it is activated (which it will allow you to do).

You should be able to activate even though it has been activated before, provided you are only using the OS on one computer. I have done it successfully. You will have to activate over the phone. When it doesn't allow you to activate with the automated system, it will send you to a live representative. They will ask you to explain your situation. You will tell them that you are doing a complete system upgrade and you are only using the OS on this one computer. They will give you the code, and it will work. I've done it before more than once. If you are using the OS on more than one computer, then you will risk the wrath of Microsoft.

ps If you tell them that this is the ONLY computer that you have ever used this disk on, they will know that you are lying, and they may not help you. Your COA number is already on file and they know it has been activated before.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ste
Do not Stare at my Avatar

Send a message via MSN to Ste

Quote:
Originally posted by forrestcupp

ps If you tell them that this is the ONLY computer that you have ever used this disk on, they will know that you are lying, and they may not help you. Your COA number is already on file and they know it has been activated before.
Not true, I have done it three times before. And they did help me, and I did get all three installations activated.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Just call M$. There should be a number there when you try to activate. Tell them you had a HDD crash and had to re-install. They will give you the code to re-install.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 02-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Not true, I have done it three times before. And they did help me, and I did get all three installations activated.
it's really not true on a prebuilt computer. the companies use corporate xp than they slapped a different serial on the side of the computer as they paid for that serial
Old 03-02-2007, 12:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

If MS wont help you (which they should) just crack the *******..we'll show them

Closed Thread