3 i need only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disaster

Solid State Member
when i restart my computer i gives me a black screen with a list of 3 operating systems to choose from. there is only one os currently installed on my computer. ME used to be on my master drive then when i went to install xp home edtion it installed it on my slave drive instead of upgradeing ME. so i deleted them both along with all there extra folders and installed xp back on my master drive. this is how it became of 3 os to choose from at start up but is there ne way to tell the computer there is only one still on there and the others are gone or is there something i missed that is telling the computer that there is os still on these drives:confused:

Find you "boot.ini" file and edit it. You will see what to edit when you open the file.

It's because your PC is still reading 3 partitions even though you're no longer running ME. Like they said, edit the ini file or totally fdisk it and create one partition and let XP format the hard drive.

try

fdisk /mbr or -mbr i forget which one it is...but it will clean out your master boot record :)

go to your help then on the bottom right use tools then 10 down system configuration utility,open system config utility then boot.ini its the easy way.Later Pat S.

if you are running XP Home it should look like this

[boot loader]
default=C:\Windows
[operating systems]
C:\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

but ive added a program to the boot to make it faster so mine looks like this

[boot loader]
default=C:\Windows+C:\ntosboot.bat
[operating systems]
C:\Windows="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition"

all you have to do is put this into your boot.ini (without "+C:\ntosbot.bat) but change C:\Windows to C:\ < put wherever the directory of YOUR windows version is but if it is C:\Windows dont change it
well you dont need to change "Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" because that is your operating system

Upgrading? That's such a bad way to do things. I think and always have, that the best thing to do, is to backup all your personal docs, etc. and format and install the new OS from scratch. Upgrading just leaves old files from the previous OS behind and could cause problems later down the line.

Just my 3 cents!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom