2k Server ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrdinkel

Daemon Poster
Would this be a true statement... The share side of the share deals with the client machine connecting to the server, whereas the security side of the share deals with internal file system within the server?

My dad, who is an assistant IT director for a small school district was asking me this, and that's what i came up with.

I would say you are partly correct. The part that gets me is that they are both connected in the same way.
The share deals with them getting there, yes, but also deals with what the files/folders are too. Same goes for the security. If you don't have access rights to the share, you can't get anywhere with it. so if security didn't have anything to do with getting to the share, you could view the share, but not the files. but that is not the case.
I think you are on the right track, but just a little off to the side.
at least that is what I can comeup with.

no. Ownership is only valid for who the owner is. Has nothing to do with external permissions. In a lot of cases, the owner is simply the machine administrator. The creator will have full access to a file they created, and they may even be the owner, but that can just be changed by anyone who has full control or take ownership rights to the file.
What is the basis for this question?

The basis for this question is my dad asked me a question about it this weekend, and its something that a "I don't know" would suffice, but an "Aha, this makes sense" works better.

The link does indeed cover it. I'll pass it onto my dad.

I was refering to the second question. the one about ownership. Are you refering to the share or folder based permissions? I'm assuming you mean share rights, and in that case, the owner is the machine. If you are talking folder, that is up in the air as I stated above...

Just wanted to clarify...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom