2003 ENT Server image from Dell 2850 to Dell 2950

Status
Not open for further replies.

hit1

Beta member
Hi All,

I've dumped my ghost image created for the 2850 to a new 2950. When the machine starts it shows the splach screen then blue screens and reboots. After turning off auto reboot I can see the error is 0x0000007B which according what I've found is an inaccessible boot device. I know the hw is fine because I can manually load any os on this box so I'm ASSUMING this is being caused by the diff in RAID controllers in the two servers. I have no idea how to get around this issue. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the response. Can you give me a bit more info on why this wouldn't work? I've never had an issue ghosting newer windows os' to diff hardware before. Is this a 2003 limit?

You have been lucky then because transfering an image from one machine to another with different hardware usually never works. My recommendation would be to do a fresh install however if this is not possible, a repair install of Server 2003 will remedy the issue without data loss.

I will admit I have never tried to repair a 2003 server install since I have never had a good feeling about doing that compared to a fresh install. I am willing to give it a shot though because I have nothing to lose but am wondering how much registry editing it will do. Data is not an issue here but installed software is.

Thanks!

A repair install will blow away the Windows folder and replace. I have no expierence doing this on a server level but on workstations with XP and have had success is doing so. When completed, the desktop and atmosphere of the O/S should be identical to when it was installed on the other machine.

Boot off the CD and proceed as if you are doing a fresh install. Get to the point when it asks what partition you want to install. From there it should let you press "r" to repair the current install.

Make sure you have another drive with this image so if it gets screwed, there isnt a problem!!!

Yeah, I have a backup or two of the image so that won't be an issue. Thanks for the info. I'll be trying this sometime this afternoon and will follow up in this thread with the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom