2002 System needs restored

FRANKthepostman

Beta member
I have an old gateway dt model mfatxpnt esx 505X

Its of course from 2002, I can access the bios setup utility screen but have no clue how to restore or reboot to factory windows.

Why am I doing this you might ask.. I am trying to get this up and running for an older gentleman who is my buddy's father whos compute just finally stopped working after purchasing in back before y2k. We do not have any cash to replace to get a newer one but I had this older computer that would be an upgrade for him if we can just get it working again. He only needs internet dial up (Yes dial up) access.

Please help! I was hoping some of you would like the blast from the past

Thanks!

What OS do you recommend? and are older OS systems available online for free?

I did find a 550GR restore DVD from gateway. I am trying it

Last edited by a moderator:
What OS do you recommend? and are older OS systems available online for free?

I did find a 550GR restore DVD from gateway. I am trying it

The only OS's online for free legally are Linux OS's.

If you're wanting to reinstall the OS, then what version of Windows is there a key for? The key should be on a sticker on the side of the case (if a desktop) or on the bottom of the computer (if a laptop).

Post what version of Windows is on the sticker (just don't post the key).

Its XP Home edition.

I used that restore disk and it did work. But I am now having issues updating the drivers and service packs its still at service pack 1. Internet explorer keeps giving me errors and shutting down so I am unable to even get to a site for download.

Ok, luckily I have this computer right next to me. I cant seem to type into fields on IE on this computer If i try to google download service 3 it errors and shuts down, I typed in manually into the address bar the link you just sent and am downloading now.

What do you mean by components?

all the necessary drivers should be there, although very old and out dated. I'm not even sure if you can find anything newer for each component because some manufactures may not even provide legacy drivers that old. (more than 10+ years)

Last edited:
Ok, luckily I have this computer right next to me. I cant seem to type into fields on IE on this computer If i try to google download service 3 it errors and shuts down, I typed in manually into the address bar the link you just sent and am downloading now.

What do you mean by components?
Components as individual hardware:
Chipset, Video, Sound, Ethernet, wireless (if it has wireless), are the big ones.

If you're not sure what it all is, go to Device manager and see if any components have missing drivers (yellow exclamation marks).

all the necessary drivers should be there, although very old and out dated. I'm not even sure if you can find anything newer for each component because some manufactures may not even provide legacy drivers that old. (10+ years)

OP used a reinstall disk for a different (but similar) Gateway. So all the drivers may not be there.

Back
Top Bottom