2 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowmyname_20

Solid State Member
my computers burner does not work anymore, when I try to burn something it says it adding files and getting them ready to burn. Then it gives me a message saying that it's burning, but it never does, it stays there for ever. It doesn't even start burning. My computer came with a DVD/cd burner (it's only a regular burner but it plays DVDs it does not burn DVDs) it works fine, it reads any cds I insert, any DVDs but it will not let me burn cds. I don't event hear the cd spinning I hear it trying to start but it doesn't.

I have a computer with 192 ram. I have a lot of programs installed but it is real slow since all the programs are installed in the same harddrive and you might know, there are some files mixed. I want to make a partition to my hardrive so that my computer will run faster. in other words, I want the computer to think that it has two hardrives instead of one. Does anyone know how to do that? I have a 30G hardrive.

I would be very thankful if any of you could help

knowmyname_20

1. If you can find what brand it is (might say on the front), or if your computer is a specific brand / not custom (IE: Dell, IBM etc.) you might be able to find some drivers on the manufacturer website. Mine does a similar trick...except no error messages. It starts off kind of loud, then becomes silent... I don't ask questions:) Also, you might try using a different burning program... if you haven't already.

2. Partition Magic is a nice GUI-based program...that you'd run from Windows, if you can get a hold of it. I just googled a freeware one, though no idea if it's any good here. You'd be best off reformatting since it sounds quite messy...(reformat/split partitions/install again), though if that's not an option, resizing should do what you want--but in order to split it up into two seperate partitions, I do believe you will need to clear that space (resize the 30GB to 15GB (this data you keep), then create the new 15GB partition).

Hope that helps...!
X

1. try the burner in another computer and see if it will burn there

2. is this windows xp? If it is xp you can just boot to the xp cd and partition it from there since you arent doing really advanced partitioning just most likley cutting in half you wont even need 3rd party software like partition magic. if you are running windows 98 however just boot to a 98 boot disk and use fdisk to partition it, you can also do this with xp :).

jcortes said:
2. is this windows xp? If it is xp you can just boot to the xp cd and partition it from there since you arent doing really advanced partitioning just most likley cutting in half you wont even need 3rd party software like partition magic. if you are running windows 98 however just boot to a 98 boot disk and use fdisk to partition it, you can also do this with xp :).

I never remember the included stuff..:p But yeah, that'd work great, as long as he just wants the reformat (and not resize)...:D

Xula said:
I never remember the included stuff..:p But yeah, that'd work great, as long as he just wants the reformat (and not resize)...:D

ya be sure to back up your stuff because it will format it and start fresh which in yourcase could also fix your cd drive problem :) so i recommend it. let me know if you want a guide i can post one for you on how to partition using the xp cd and the installation process. :) good luck.

thanks a lot guys.
1.I will check on my coputers and cd burner drive when I get home and posted here tomorrow. thanks for the help.

2. for what I read guys, you guys are telling me about partitioning my computer to where I could even have two operating systems such as WINDOWS 2000 & XP, for wich I also would need to have a pentium 4. Correct me if Im wrong.

I do not have the xp cd, well, I do, I currently have windows xp home edition (do not have the cd for this one) and I have wiindows xp professional with service pack 2 (not an original version, you know what I mean) but I have not used the xp pro since the xp home edition is original and I do not want to risk my computer with no updates ( in case xp pro does not allows it to get them). I can always get the updates without any problem.

what I am actually trying to do is devide my Hard drive in two so that I will have my programs installed in one part and have my personla files on the other part.

lets say about a 4-6 gig partition, and the rest on the otherone. That way my computer woulld think that it has two hardriver instead of one. I've seen that before, but I've never done it.

any more ideas guys?

thanks for the help.

well if you have the xp cd boot to it delete all existing partitions then creat a new one but leave 4-6 gb unallocated then format and install windows on the big partition you made and then once you get into windows go to disk management and format the unallocated space to be the second drive :) good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom