2 important Vista questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhasser

Baseband Member
Now, I'm installing XP on my nebuild, but I want to go Cista a bit later after I'll get it. So:

1. If I'll make say 5 partitions, and install XP on the second, then get my Vista and install it on the 1st and format the 2nd - is it ok?

2. How big the partition should be? I don't want to keep my programs, docs or any other stuff with the OS. Does Vista have some annoying folder like Application Data on XP, where it stores lots of stuff? And what's with that shadow file copying?

Thanks for your help.

If you have more than 1 hard drive i would suggest making a 30gb partition on each drive and installing vista to 1 and xp to the other, and putting all the data on a completely seperate partition.

If you have more than 1 hard drive i would suggest making a 30gb partition on each drive and installing vista to 1 and xp to the other, and putting all the data on a completely seperate partition.

He isn't going to be dual booting.

1. Yes. You will however lose XP and any data on that partition.

2. I would give Vista at least 40 gigs. It does have an Application Data folder just like XP.

Now, I'm installing XP on my nebuild, but I want to go Cista a bit later after I'll get it. So:

1. If I'll make say 5 partitions, and install XP on the second, then get my Vista and install it on the 1st and format the 2nd - is it ok?

2. How big the partition should be? I don't want to keep my programs, docs or any other stuff with the OS. Does Vista have some annoying folder like Application Data on XP, where it stores lots of stuff? And what's with that shadow file copying?

Thanks for your help.
1. Yes but be careful that you are sure you wish to use Vista first before you get rid of XP.

2. Vista requires at least 20GB to install. That is the minimal. I would suggest at least 40GB.

Yes, I won't be using dual boot, and I will keep XP partition clean so losing files is not a problem - I actually HOPE they will be gone.

The Application Data folder sucks - it just mean that Vista will grow...

I have 1 500Gb drive - 50 for Vista, 100 for XP (which later will be used for progs and games), 100 for Design stuff I have, 250 for Media. That should be alright?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom