1790 Disk 0 Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
have you tried booting from a floppy disk on the deskpro? if you have and it wont boot from the floppy, or it doesnt have a floppy..(not sure about compaq and what they come equipped with) but if you cant boot it at all, it may be that the onboard controller is having issues. i will use having issues because it could be one of a few things. first, you will need to check the bios settings to determine if there is a mis-configuration in the bios for the hard drive not allowing it to boot. another option could be that the controller itself is no longer functioning... the first option is a more probable reason. the system sat idle on a shelf for a month, if the cmos battery on it is weak or dead, then this may cause it to forget the drive settings. most systems will auto-find info on the hard drive incase this should happen, however once in a while you will have a hard drive that will not send appropriate information back to the system for it to setup. this case usually results in you having to manually input the heads ect into the bios settings and over-ride the auto detect on it. and even more, if it is an older system, it may not even have auto-detect for the drive options. what you may need to do is look on the hard drive, it may have several parameters marked on it... (ie ... heads/ cylendars...ect....) write all of these down. then install the hard drive and goto your bios setup(Hoping you can get to that anyway) and move drive type to the open type that lets you input parameters and put those in yourself... if your not sure what your doing, you may want to have someone help you with this that has done it before.
but to make it all short...it sounds like a configuration problem that your bios on the computer can not read the drive now...due to a weak battery
:)

Them Dang Bat-ries,,

Good Call,, I will Look at the Controller issue,, I am doing a Bios update on it,, then hopefully this will sort the bios issue,, i will go in and specify the cylinders and heads etc,, see if that helps,,

the battery is soldered in blast it,,,

I will let you know what happens,,

thanks for a new look,,

cheers,

Hmmm

The most sensible thing to do in this situation which may just solve your problem would be to flash the bios up to the latest version. Normally I do not recommend this because if your bios update is not the correct one, you will fry the chip on your motherboard. Althought, this may just solve your problem.

i can't beleive you are going through all this trouble just for that. 1790 Disk 0 Error would seem to me that the disk configuration is wrong. if you can't replace the CMOS battery i would replace the mobo.

if you give this to your newphew he would have to set the head/ sector/ cylinder/ LZ ect everytime or leave the computer on all the time. not a fun thing to do. i have see this happen once. maybe it is possible to unsolder the battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom