16 bit Windows Subsytem Error? The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

consolemax_com

In Runtime
Trying to install a program and get this error:

WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choos 'Close' to terminate the application.

Hi consolemax, I had the exact same problem a few weeks back and after much searching on google for the answer to fix it I found a forum where somebody put up 4 files to download which completely fixed it. I'm not much of a technical mind when it comes to computers but the problem was to do with .nt files being in the wrong place or something like that.

I don't remember where I got the files but I would advise you to do a google search typing in the exact error message. I think there is advice on the microsoft website if I remember rightly but this didn't fix it in my case. It may in yours though because during my searching I found a few different ways of fixing it, but downloading the files was the only way that worked for for me. So yeah - just search around on google and you'll find a way to fix it that'll work for you. BTW Major I don't think it's just to do with Norton cos I had the problem and I don't have Norton.

Did you have SP2?

No - I had SP1, it happened since I got this computer for a few weeks until it annoyed me so much I hunted a solution on google, hence downloading those files. Since then I've never had the problem again.

I found a file on a forum and placed it in my system32 directory. No probs after that. Thanks all for your generous input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom