16 bit Windows Subsystem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpikedCola

In Runtime
Never had a problem installing before... Im trying to install BassBox 6.0 and I keep getting this error when I try to install (oddly enough, the error box pops up really really fast, then goes away, if i double click to install... but if I right-click, go to Run As and do it that way, the error stays up, but clicking Close / Ignore has no different effect):

16 Bit Windows Subsystem

C:\Temp\, A temporary file needed for initialization could not be created or could not be written to. Make sure that the directory path exists, and disk space is available. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Close / Ignore

I have 16gb free on the drive, and C:\Temp exists. Im out of ideas. Googling "16 bit windows subsystem" gives a bunch of errors, but only ones that have to do with autoexec.nt and such missing, and I already replaced them, as per the M$ KB article.

Okay are you useing a 64 Bit system? Like XP X64 or VIsta 64? If so that is the problem. The 64 Bit systems dont have a 16Bit subsystem built into them anymore. Only 32 Bit systems do. The 64 Bit systems use a 32Bit sub-system.

Are you sure that the applicaiton is XP compatable?

It is most likely cause of the new Windows 3.1 Installer which is fully 32Bit. Not like the old installer which was 16 adn 32Bit. So i am guessing your system is fully up to date which would mean you have the Installer 3.1 which would cause this problem.

You could try copying the installation to ur harddrive then right click the installation file click on the compatibility tab and run it in a older operating system, like 98. This is only a suggestion i have never used the compatiblity option, but it sounds like a 16 bit os would run it no prob.

"The article describes how to obtain a fresh copy of config.nt, autoexec.nt and command.com from your original Windows XP installation CD."

Thats only referring to the error that references those files. Ive tried doing that, and it didnt help. The symptoms of that error are these error windows:
"16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
C:\Windows\System32\Autoexec.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application. "

Notice my error is different. Thats what got me.

Is it safe to remove Windows Installer 3.1? The remove program tells me that xx programs will stop working (basically everything I have).

since I'm going to assume that you have this soft legal, I will upload my version of bass box pro 6 with 6.18 update without the serial. pm me with your email. I've never had a problem using it. my version doesn't use dos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom