1.9%-32.4% frame rate drop in Vista. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis
Angry 1.9%-32.4% frame rate drop in Vista.

"Vista is the better Windows, because it behaves better, because it looks better and because it feels better. But it cannot perform better than Windows XP. Is this a K.O. for Windows Vista in the enthusiast space?"

If you go to the link, you'll notice in UT 2004, frame rates droped 32.4% while it was running in Vista.

And in F.E.A.R they dropped 8.3%

If you're a gamer, it seems that it's best to hold off on upgrading to Windows Vista until DX10 games are released.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/01/....html#3d_games

Now it is a good idea to keep in mind that this is with current top of the line hardware. I'm sure we'll see better performance in games as hardware advances.

Old 01-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

well as much as i hate vista so far lets remember that its jsut come out and will be the "main" OS for a good few years and with all this new technology developing well all soon have PC's capable of runnign vista with ease just like XP

Old 01-30-2007, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheOtis

That's a good call snyper, I touched on that a bit about the hardware part.

I do having a feeling, alot of M$ haters are going to be bashing on Vista for that. But won't keep in mind that it's with current hardware.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

now correct me if im wrong but vista is built around directx10? and basically uses a directx9 emulator so to speak for everything that uses dx9...now i may be totally off but people dont understand that if you have something built around something new and has to use something that emulates a previous ver. your not gonna get all fps and performance you see with something thats built around that previous ver. of software...if that made any sense at all
-XFX 8800GTX
-OCZ Gamer Xtream 700W PSU
-2x160GB WD HD in RAID 0
-Antec Nine Hundred case
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

most of the performance differences are probably due to immature drivers for vista, i'd like to see results after some driver maturity and factor in a few other simple things for vista like turning off windows defender in the background, etc.

some people get more fps in oblivion with vista opposed to xp, way too early to make any bold statements, toms hardware of all people put that in their article.
Closed Thread