0x00000024 Error/Blue screen of death, Any fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4qhk

Baseband Member
I have my mom's computer this week, and it has presented the following errors in both normal and safe mode.

0x00000024 (0x001190203, 0x82F722B8, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)

I don't think I have any software for it (restore discs, XP recovery discs, etc.)

There are very precious documents and files that are not able to be replaced.

Is there any hope?

I have not found a way to get to a command prompt so I could do a CHKDSK. I have tried a few programs like OTPLE, but, it never comes up (it may have something to do with the fact that the HD is a SATA hard drive, not sure.)

After I get it fixed, what is the best way to back all of her stuff up?

Jeremy

Bug Check 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Basically what that is saying is that the partition/file system is fried. The only way to get a command prompt with a system like that is via the XP CD. Since you dont have one available your only option is to remove the drive from that system and put it in another and run chkdsk /r /f from that system on that drive. Hopefully it can fix the problem so that you can access the drive in order to access it to backup her documents.

The best way to do it is to copy them to an external drive or USB Thumb Drive or anything that she can use on any computer to access them.

Don't dispair!

Borrow a XP OS disk from a friend.

When it says press any key to boot from CD, go ahead and do just that.

When the blue option screen comes up select 'R' the recovery console. It will have a dark bleak screen but it is your friend.

When asked for a password just press 'enter'

Go ahead and press number '1' (that's your C drive)

Type these command in one line, include any spaces and press 'enter' after each.

md c:\windows\temp
copy c:\windows\system32config\system c:\windows\temp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32config\software c:\windows\temp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32config\sam c:\windows\temp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32config\security c:windows\temp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32config\default c:windows\temp\\default.bak
delete c:\windows\system32config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default

Any problems here and there is a way around it but lets go with it first and see how you go. What you are doing is creating a temp. directory called 'temp' and into it you have copied all the files that boot up windows and then you deleted all the files of which one of them created your problem! This exercise so far will get you back on the road to where you need to go.

Now type Exit and watch your pc restart into windows. DON'T press a key to boot into the CD this time. Let it run and boot up.

Start Explorer.
1.In tools select folder options
2.tick show hidden files and folders
3.click to clear 'hide protected operating system files' (recommended)
4.click yes that you want to display these files
5.double click the drive where windows is installed (useually C) to get a list of the folders
6.open the system volume info. folder. Right click on it and select sharing and security and click security.
7.Click add and in the box labeled 'enter the names to select' enter the name of the user thats at the top oif the start menu (you or whoever)
8.Click OK a couple of times and you should be into your system!

See if you can get this far and report back.

You know, on more research, it seems that I do have an XP disc. It won't delete the stuff on the HD, will it, doing the recovery console?

Jeremy

Ok. I went ahead and did it, and, so far, there is nothing but the "blue screen" and, on the bottom, is this:

Examining 76294 MB on Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on atapi

Bug Check 0x24: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

Basically what that is saying is that the partition/file system is fried. The only way to get a command prompt with a system like that is via the XP CD. Since you dont have one available your only option is to remove the drive from that system and put it in another and run chkdsk /r /f from that system on that drive. Hopefully it can fix the problem so that you can access the drive in order to access it to backup her documents.

The best way to do it is to copy them to an external drive or USB Thumb Drive or anything that she can use on any computer to access them.
Pretty sure that the /r switch implies /f, so the /f isn't needed.

Just checked, and yep...the /? switch for chkdsk says this:
/R -- Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information <implies /F>.

Ok. I went ahead and did it, and, so far, there is nothing but the "blue screen" and, on the bottom, is this:

Examining 76294 MB on Disk 0 at ID 0 on Bus 0 on atapi

Did you try doing the chkdsk /r as Mak suggested?

Carnage,

Yes i know that the /r switch implies to /f as well. But that is just it. It implies. I have run chkdsk with just the repair option and it doesnt always fix the problems fully. Which is why i state to use the /r /f switches. This is something i learned in my travels and from several reputable sources at Microsoft to use both to make sure that it is done.

To kf4ghk,

Did you load up the disk and have it boot to the CD. Then at the first screen press R to get to the Recovery Console just as Akabilk suggested?

Carnage,

Yes i know that the /r switch implies to /f as well. But that is just it. It implies. I have run chkdsk with just the repair option and it doesnt always fix the problems fully. Which is why i state to use the /r /f switches. This is something i learned in my travels and from several reputable sources at Microsoft to use both to make sure that it is done.

Hmm, good to know then. I figured it included the /f switch when you used /r. Noted for future use :thumbsup:.

So, anyone think I have a salvageable situation here? I am losing hope.

If I do have to replace the hard drive (don't want to have to do that) can I get the info off of the old hard drive?

Also, with the restore discs I have, can I just put a new hard drive in there and reinstall everything (there is a COA on the side of the machine.)

Jeremy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom