0x00000024 Error/Blue screen of death, Any fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Stop 0x24 message indicates that a problem occurred within Ntfs.sys, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives.

Firstly I would try removing one stick of ram if you have 2 sticks. Boot with one stick. If that fails, swap sticks. You might have a faulty ram stick which will cause your problem. Not always the only cause though.

So, anyone think I have a salvageable situation here? I am losing hope.

If I do have to replace the hard drive (don't want to have to do that) can I get the info off of the old hard drive?

Also, with the restore discs I have, can I just put a new hard drive in there and reinstall everything (there is a COA on the side of the machine.)

Jeremy

You can try removing the drive and putting it in another system or in an external enclosure and try running a chkdsk on it that way.

Do you know what brand of HDD you have? Find out, and get a copy of that manufacturer's hard drive tool from their website; e.g. if you have a SeaGate drive, go to SeaGate's website and get SeaTools. Usually the drive manufacturer provides these tools for free on their websites.

That or pick up a copy of Spinrite, boot off of it, and let it run either a Level 2, 4, or 5 scan. I know I had to fix a system that refused to boot, and had a 0x24 BSOD; a chkdsk would not work, and after I ran Spinrite, it worked fine and was able to boot to Windows.

You can try removing the drive and putting it in another system or in an external enclosure and try running a chkdsk on it that way.

Do you know what brand of HDD you have? Find out, and get a copy of that manufacturer's hard drive tool from their website; e.g. if you have a SeaGate drive, go to SeaGate's website and get SeaTools. Usually the drive manufacturer provides these tools for free on their websites.

That or pick up a copy of Spinrite, boot off of it, and let it run either a Level 2, 4, or 5 scan. I know I had to fix a system that refused to boot, and had a 0x24 BSOD; a chkdsk would not work, and after I ran Spinrite, it worked fine and was able to boot to Windows.

I have successfully pulled the hard drive, and yes, it is a SeaGate.

So, what is the better option? Trying to run Seatools (and, can that help me,) or, getting an external hard drive and running CHKDSK? How can I do that if I cannot run it in this computer?

Try the SeaTools option first, since you don't already have an external enclosure (not a full external hard drive...just the enclosure is all you were to need). Burn SeaTools to a disc, and boot off of it.

If that doesn't work, go out an get an enclosure, put the HDD in it, and hook it up to a working computer. Then, go to Computer > right click the drive > properties > Tools tab > under Error Checking, click Check Now > tick both boxes > Hit OK on all open dialog boxes.

Well, I learned this morning how to slave a hard drive. I followed all of the instructions and set up everything properly, but, the computer I put it in is not recognizing that drive. (However, and this may not be related, but, this good computer always gives me an error message on boot that says it cannot recognize the hard drive, and I have to press F1 to make it boot.)

Jeremy

Try the SeaTools option first, since you don't already have an external enclosure (not a full external hard drive...just the enclosure is all you were to need). Burn SeaTools to a disc, and boot off of it.

If that doesn't work, go out an get an enclosure, put the HDD in it, and hook it up to a working computer. Then, go to Computer > right click the drive > properties > Tools tab > under Error Checking, click Check Now > tick both boxes > Hit OK on all open dialog boxes.

Well, I finally got a enclosure, and did that. What next? So far, nothing's happened.

When I hooked it up, 2 additional drives came up - "Drive D," which says absolutely nothing, and then, Drive J, which is says is "Backup."

Thanks.

Now run a check on one or both of the partitions like I instructed.

Or use command line from c ommand prompt:

chkdsk <drive letter>: /f /r

Now run a check on one or both of the partitions like I instructed.

Or use command line from c ommand prompt:

chkdsk <drive letter>: /f /r

CHKDSK fixed it! After being downf or 2 months, my mom's computer is back up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom