xp home to xp pro on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

sally864

Beta member
Consider the following scenario and please advise what one might do.....

If a manager was told by the owner to order him a laptop that needed to be able to join the domain, but the manager screwed up and ordered xp home. Now the manager wants one person in IT to change it to xp pro by using two different websites and "getting it to xp pro" (which sounds fishy to me), by probably changing the registry and code or something....(not really sure) The IT person feels that something isn't right but they know the owner needs the laptop and if they don't do it, they may be fired but if it is illegal they won't do it. I am assuming that this is not the correct way to change from xp home to pro.

Please advise....the IT person does not want to do anything that would get them in trouble in the long run. I believe the only correct way to change o/s is with a valid license.

Was just looking if this was a correct way to do this or no.

then anything else is illegal......so then the IT dept will not do it without the proper licensing.

Is there a proper way to join the domain with xp home?

if it was for an owner...he would want access to everything without any hickups. will this website do this or have you ever tried this yourself?

I have never tried. I have always used pro on a domain.

I would image there would be problems if you used an exchange server for email.
There would also be issues with domain AD policies and the like.

If all he needs is file sharing he should be ok.

Only way to know for sure is to try.

He would need the full blown thing....AD, email, database which would be located on another server accessed through the domain.....so I guess this isn't going to work.

Nope. I made the mistake once of letting someone buy there own laptop and they got xp home.

Needless to say it had pro on it the next day.

Just bite the bullet and purchase a copy of Xp Pro. Or see if IT Department has a spare license. Or buy one.

It's not like you are going to need to format the hard drive. Just put the CD in and install over your existing copy of Xp Home.

I know one person that has forced Xp Home onto a Domain. Not sure what he did. He was able to get file sharing. But he was commenting that there was a lot of little issues that he was having afterwards. One of them was not being able to connect to the printer.

Windows 95,98,98se where the only OS marketed for home users that could be connected to a domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom