WTHK is up with Defrag?? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default WTHK is up with Defrag??

ok i tried defragmenting my hard drive in hopes of making my laptop faster. I started the process at around 10 am this morning. It is now 11:43 and it's...18.6% finished. what the heck?? not like my laptop is bad or anything..c'mon!

and leaving it on for so friggen long is also getting on my worries. When's the longest one should keep his laptop on? 48 hrs?

Old 07-21-2009, 11:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Default Re: WTHK is up with Defrag??

Leaving it on all day shouldn't cause any problems..

But for the drive thing, I'm assuming you have a really big hard drive capacity or since you left it on all night, I guess it throttled down so much that it did the job extremely slowly?

I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by echox91 View Post
ok i tried defragmenting my hard drive in hopes of making my laptop faster. I started the process at around 10 am this morning. It is now 11:43 and it's...18.6% finished. what the heck?? not like my laptop is bad or anything..c'mon!

and leaving it on for so friggen long is also getting on my worries. When's the longest one should keep his laptop on? 48 hrs?
My brothers laptop has been on 24/7 for the past month.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

hahaha yeah my hd is 320 gigs xD ugh but still..at this rate it'd take over 60 hrs in total to defrag -____-'' maybe even 3 days. guess it'd be worth it

wow a whole month? thats pretty insane. sure nothing bad had happened to it? im tryin to take care of this one lol

19.7%!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

It won't take that long, it usually does a big jump towards the end. Alternatively you could try downloading defraggler, it's a freeware program by piriform, and it's the pwnage.

defraggler download
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-22-2009, 04:49 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think if i remember correctly, its not good to run on AC power continously? Is that correct anyone?
Old 07-22-2009, 04:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Well I'm interested in the answer to that one, because I have my laptop plugged in all the time - well I shut it down at night. I always thought it was ok and I haven't had any problems. Maybe I've just been lucky so far.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Yes having an AC source running continuously will wear down parts of your system after a while, but we're talking tens of thousands of hours anyway, so as far as it actually affecting you the answer is no. Feel free to leave it plugged in indefinitely.

Obviously there are other contributing factors, such as just how clean/reliable the power is in your area, but again things would have to be very bad for anything adverse to happen.
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-22-2009, 11:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to yzmxer608

If I were to keep it on AC all the time I think it would be good to plug it into a surge protector, or a UPS if you wanted to be extra careful.
Old 07-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
It won't take that long, it usually does a big jump towards the end. Alternatively you could try downloading defraggler, it's a freeware program by piriform, and it's the pwnage.

defraggler download
man i sure hope so lol its on 21.5 now -_____-
ill try defraggler next time..hopefully that'll be faster.

hmm so leaving your AC in continuously isn't bad. I also heard that shutting down your laptop is bad? Like..you should just leave it on standby or something? =\

ITS STILL AT 21.5
FML

Closed Thread