Originally Posted by sirlovebottem
I have a laptop dell
insprion. I put in a new harddrive as it said the old harddrive was dead. Gave me a smart drive error. I put in the new harddrive and tried to format it with windows 7 I get this error. indows is unable to install the seleected location error 0x80300024. I tried also doing xp when it gets to the part where you choose the partition I get blue screen. I tried installing ubuntu and I get a error when trying to read the drive. This is the only hard rive in the laptop. Any ideas? Bio setting perhaps? Did not install it in properly?
The hard drive might have to be initialized before you can do anything with it. The easiest way to check would be to hook it up to another computer, and go to "Disk Management" under the Computer management area.
Start Menu=>Right-click "Computer"=>Choose "Manage"=Disk Management
Otherwise you can do it from the Windows 7 install recovery tools section.
1. Instead of clicking "install now", go to the lower left corner and choose "repair my computer".
2. It will scan for OS's on any available hard drives, but you don't have any so just let it finish.
3. Click "next"
4. You'll be brought to a screen with a bunch of utilities for fixing problems, go to the "Command Prompt".
5. Type: Diskpart , in the cmd window.
6. Next, type: list disk
7. Your new hard drive should show up and it might say it's offline.
- If it's offline, then type select disk ? (?=what ever number that was next to it, I'm going to assume 0).
8. Then type: online
9. Wait for that to finish, then type: Convert MBR
Once that finishes, you can exit the recovery tools which should bring you back to the Windows "Install Now" screen again.
See if that works
Then you can exit