Windex VS LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Never use Windex, because the chemicals in it will damage the screen.

Diluted alcohol tends to work fine from when I clean TV's in our store (50/50 mix of water/alcohol, I believe).

Warm water on a non-lint, moist cloth works well though, too.

Okay, not sure if I said this before, but it seems that what to clean a laptop screen with is preference. Also I wanted to ask another question.

How often do you clean your laptop screen? Is Windex bad to use to clean your screen every other day, or daily? But not if you use it monthly, or every few months? I clean my screen once in a great while, or if something happens to the screen, like finger prints, or something around that nature....

How do we know Windex is bad, and what chemical causes harm to the LCD, also how does this chemical cause harm to the LCD? (Sorry if I come off as disrespectful, or as if I am trying to argue, for the sack of arguing.... I am simply trying to understand this matter more. I appreciate all the help I am receiving.)

Another question I have is... How long can you use Windex before it damages the screen? I used it once, is it going to harm the screen from me doing it only once, or do I have to continually do it, and it will eventually cause the damage?

Every time it touches the screen, is causes the plastic to break down, a gently mist may not seem like its doing anything, but over a long period of time, you will notice the gloss finish go away, or it won't display colors properly anymore.

So what chemical causes this effect in an LCD screen? Also you said it was only over long periods of times, assuming that it does not drip into the wiring?

Half of this thread was to discover if Windex would harm my LCD screen, even if I only did this once. Because I used Windex once, generally I do not use Windex.

But now I am not understanding why Windex is bad to use on LCD screens. I used it once, as I said before, and it seems to have cleaned my screen just fine, with no effects, no smears, no anything on my screen. I have done a bit of research before asking this question, and have discovered that half the people do not suggest Windex, but the other use it, with no bad effects.... So I don't know if its good or bad, which is the other half of the purpose of this thread....

Probably the combination of Ammonia and alcohol, as well as other solvents (thats the keyword: solvents...meaning it breaks things down) in it.

And it depends if you have an actual glass screen (like on some tablets, have a plexiglass or glass screen). Windex should be fine on those. But on screens where the actual LCD screen is exposed (it's "softer"), it's harder on that material since its a softer material.

I currently do not have a bottle of rubbing alcohol avaliable to me, but does that not have solvents in it as well? I don't even know a 100% what the primary purpose of rubbing alcohol is lol.... Anyways though, I know a lot of people use it to clean their electronics.

I have heard that the main ingredient in Windex that is harmful, is ammonia. Also I just ran across this.

These days, 2009 vs 2005, most manufacturers are no longer recommending using products that contain ANY alcohol, ammonia, or other strong solvents on LCD screens.

Does rubbing alcohol contain no alcohol? Which means rubbing alcohol would be just as harmful on an LCD screen, though I, plus a majority of laptop, or LCD screen owners in general, use rubbing alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom