Windex VS LCD - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Windex VS LCD

I've posted far to many topics in a short period of time. Anyways I have one final question.

I was wondering if it is safe to clean a laptop screen with windex.... I am not talking spraying it all over the screen, but putting two or three small squirts on a cotton pad, and than gently whipping the computer screen, than taking another cotton pad, and drying up the windex.... Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have done a bit of research on this matter. People say it warps the screen, others say it dulls the screen, people say if the liquid goes to the bottom of the screen, and into the casing, it will cause the screen to break. (Though I think that is true with any liquid.)

So all in all, I feel using windex to clean an laptop screen is really preference, if you are not careful it will ruin your screen, but if you are careful, and use it the proper way, I can not see any problems using thins.... Unless it will warp the screen.

On a side note, I use Windex, Original, in case anyone is wondering. Anyways, thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Windex VS LCD

I've used it before but I don't remember it working that well. Water also doesn't work well. I use lens cleaning fluid like you would use to clean eye glasses along with a soft cloth to clean LCD's and it works perfectly.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:30 AM   #3 (permalink)
Hyper Techie

IT won't ruin the screen so long as your not drenching it but it might leave bad streaks. You'd be better using a dry glasses rag or going with Calcs suggestion.
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 08-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxHyacinthexX View Post
I've posted far to many topics in a short period of time. Anyways I have one final question.

I was wondering if it is safe to clean a laptop screen with windex.... I am not talking spraying it all over the screen, but putting two or three small squirts on a cotton pad, and than gently whipping the computer screen, than taking another cotton pad, and drying up the windex.... Thanks in advance for your answers.

I have done a bit of research on this matter. People say it warps the screen, others say it dulls the screen, people say if the liquid goes to the bottom of the screen, and into the casing, it will cause the screen to break. (Though I think that is true with any liquid.)

So all in all, I feel using windex to clean an laptop screen is really preference, if you are not careful it will ruin your screen, but if you are careful, and use it the proper way, I can not see any problems using thins.... Unless it will warp the screen.

On a side note, I use Windex, Original, in case anyone is wondering. Anyways, thanks again, and I hope to hear from you soon.
It's possible the chemicals in Windex could damage the plastic on the screen. I always use a moist cotton cloth to clean my displays and it works fine.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster

I always use a moist soft rag. Cleans it nicely.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I used it, and it seems to have worked great, no streaks, perfectly clean and looking great. Not sure if I will be using it again though, the fact that it is said that it could warp screens is enough to stop me from using it. Will probably just use rubbing alcohol as I always have. Thanks guys.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think rubbing alcohol is bad for the screen..
Old 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Rubbing alcohol will dissolve a LOT of plastics, or make them "smear". Solid color plastics, it isn't easy to notice, but you get it on clear plastics, you can smear the plastic on the very top around, easily.

I personally, take a wash rag, drench it in HOT water, wring it out till it's barely moist, then wipe the screen down, usually makes them nice and clean and preety again. :3
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Rubbing alcohol works well if you put a little on a cotton cloth.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

From my experience, just water works best. As c0rr0sive said above.