Will This Be Safe To Do? 22" HDTV External Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Struzinski

Baseband Member
I recently got a 22" HDTV, and a few weeks ago I hooked it up to my old laptop and ended up frying the processor in my laptop after 2 weeks of use. Specs:
Dell Inspiron M5030
AMD Athlon II 2.2 Ghz CPU
3GB RAM
ATI Mobility Radeon HD4250 GPU

But since then, I bought a new laptop.
Asus U46E-BAL6
Intel Core i7-2620M @ 2.7 GhZ, 2 Cores 4 Logical Processors
8GB RAM
NO DEDICATED GPU (uses Intel HD Graphics Family)

Now, I'm wondering if it will be safe to hook up my TV to my new laptop as an external monitor as I did before without destroying an 800 dollar computer. Yes, the processor is stronger but there is NO graphics card and that worries me. Yet the laptop comes with HDMI and VGA out. I connect to my TV using VGA to VGA.

I also use FL Studio 10 while doing this, which also requires a lot of computer power. To those unfamiliar, it's a music production program.

The use of an external monitor would have minimal effect on the CPU, even if running as an extended desktop. Gaming across two screens would be a different matter, of course.

The use of an external monitor would have minimal effect on the CPU, even if running as an extended desktop. Gaming across two screens would be a different matter, of course.

Then what will it affect on my computer? Especially since I don't have a dedicated graphics card?

I'm afraid to try it, I really don't feel like breaking an 800 dollar computer 2 days after I get it. I couldn't afford the protection plan either.

Then what will it affect on my computer? Especially since I don't have a dedicated graphics card?

It won't really affect anything. The only way it could hurt the laptop at all is if there is something seriously wrong with the external monitor but I can't say that I have ever heard of that happening so it's just theoretical.

I have seen a ton of users run external monitors 24/7/365 without issue. Just be sure the laptop always has proper ventilation and it will be fine.

It would seem as if we have the same laptop and i have mine hooked up to a 50" all the the time

It would seem as if we have the same laptop and i have mine hooked up to a 50" all the the time

Eh, I guess I'll try it then. I'm thinking it was a combination of everything together that **** it out. Plus those Dell laptops have a long history of hardware failure.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom