Will i5 work in my Laptop?

Telepot

Solid State Member
I am thinking of buying a new processor, simply because the i5 meets the requirements of the work I'll be doing at college. My problem is that my CPU usage is always like 100% :/
I have really done any laptop hardware upgrading, but I think for processor it's just removing the old one and slotting in the new one.

I have had a look around and apparently only certain processors work on certain motherboards.

My PC Specs -
Laptop: Asus X501U
17TbQ

17Tcc

Please tell me if it will work or not, I would not like to buy the CPU and then have it not work
:Gasp:

It's very difficult to upgrade laptop CPUs generally - they're usually soldered to the motherboard - and especially impossible to switch manufacturers. Sorry, but if you want a better CPU you'll need a whole new laptop.

Yeah upgrading laptops are definitely expensive.. In most cases, as Yami said, you're going to have to end up buying an entirely new laptop.

In this case, no, an i5 won't work.

Yeah upgrading laptops are definitely expensive.. In most cases, as Yami said, you're going to have to end up buying an entirely new laptop.

In this case, no, an i5 won't work.

It's worth a look isn't it? Serisouly, this is a 1Ghz cpu and it's slow, I bought this laptop yesterday. I am wondering if it's worth a look inside to upgrade the CPU? There are a lot of videos YouTube and stuff showing people putting other CPUs inside their laptops.

It's very difficult to upgrade laptop CPUs generally - they're usually soldered to the motherboard - and especially impossible to switch manufacturers. Sorry, but if you want a better CPU you'll need a whole new laptop.

What? I've never seen a laptop CPU soldered onto the board. GPU's yes.. but every laptop I've taken apart, (low end to high end) have had socketed CPU's that are removable.

Anyway... No an i5 won't work because you're on an AMD CPU and an i5 is an Intel CPU, which have entirely different sockets. Generally upgrading the CPU on a laptop is very expensive, and you won't get that great of a gain as far as what's compatible with the CPU (like I said, generally).

Last edited:
No. Your laptop takes a particular series of CPUs by AMD. It can't take all AMD CPUs let alone any Intel ones.

Back
Top Bottom