Wifi stops working after sleep mode or hibernate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Disharm

Solid State Member
Hello everyone, I just purchased a new Dell Inspirion laptop about a week ago. Right out of the box it connected to wifi with no problems. I noticed the second day however that sometimes after it was in sleepmode(lid shut) it sometimes cannot connect to my router until I shut my computer down completely and restart. It can see the router, but it is unable to connect completely. I don't think it is the wifi card because the drivers are up to date and I can connect to an unsecured router in the area with no problems. It almost always works after a complete shutdown.

If anyone has some info or things to try it would be very appreciated.

Specs: Dell Inspirion
Windows 7 64 bit
DW1501 Wireless-N WLAN Half-Mini Card
4 gig ram
280gb HD

Go into Device Manager. Go to your wireless adapter, properties, Power Management, unclick "Allow the computer to..."

If that doesn't work, I'll try something else.

Thanks for the response, but I was hoping there would be a more technical solution that is causing my laptop internet to not reconnect after periods in standby mode. It has to be some softwear right? Because after a cold boot it connects fine. I wouldn't think my firewall or antivirus(Microsoft security essentials) would be stopping it because they're on all the time and allow it through.

Hmmm.

Hmmm, I unchecked the "Allow computer to turn this device off to save power" under my network controller properties, hopefully this has some positive results.

Well, this did not work. I am in dire need for suggestions. This problem is frustrating. I am almost positive it has something to do with the router.

I don't believe so. I can log into the unprotected belkin in the neighborhood without issues when my netgear router won't connect. I've logged into my friend's linksys router with no issues either. I haven't really checked if they had the same standby-start up issues.

I was told apply a static ip may help correct this issues, but I have my doubts.

The router is up to date and a full router reset yields the same results.

Just before coming on this webpage I opened my laptop and logged onto my account, no connection. This time I just shut the cover and then opened it and re-logged in and connection was restored.

This is all so peculiar.

Haha, I think I found a quick fix to it. Rather than shutdown and whatever, I simply close the lid and reopen it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom