Wich is better? i5 or i7? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
SCxnoxiousTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 156
Default Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Just want to know what is the diff between this 2 ?
__________________

SCxnoxiousTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:27 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

\_(ツ)_/
 
Trotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The South
Posts: 31,307
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Not much when you really get down to it. i3 CPUs are all dual cores thus far. i5 and i7 are quads, with the i7 being the faster speeds and many having hyperthreading.

One way to think of them (using a US car analogy) would be i3 are GM, i5 are Chevy, and i7 are Cadillac.
__________________

__________________


My Rig: SABLE
Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / ASUS GeForce GTX 960 GTX960-DC2OC-2GD5
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB
2x4GB DDR3 1600 - 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win10 Ent 64-bit - Mionix Naos 7000 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard


R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
True Techie
 
SCxnoxiousTechie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Philippines
Posts: 156
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Thanks for that
SCxnoxiousTechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pushing Daisies on Saturn
 
Yevrag35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Wisconsin, US
Posts: 1,118
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Just to clarify; all DESKTOP i5 cpu's are quads, but in LAPTOPS they use dual core i5's.
But i7 cpu's are quad all-around.
Yevrag35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Original Mac User
 
mac_mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 1,515
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter View Post
Not much when you really get down to it. i3 CPUs are all dual cores thus far. i5 and i7 are quads, with the i7 being the faster speeds and many having hyperthreading.

One way to think of them (using a US car analogy) would be i3 are GM, i5 are Chevy, and i7 are Cadillac.
Oh boy, Trotter... No disrespect but Cadillac and Chevy are all built by GM. So your analogy is really off!

I think it might be better to say the i3 is a Mustang, the i5 is a BMW M6, and the i7 is a Veyron. They're all fast but the way they make their power is different. You've got your V8, your twin turbo V8, and a quad turbo W16
__________________

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
 
patonb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In Gov't Regulated Cubical
Posts: 9,745
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul View Post
Oh boy, Trotter... No disrespect but Cadillac and Chevy are all built by GM. So your analogy is really off!

I think it might be better to say the i3 is a Mustang, the i5 is a BMW M6, and the i7 is a Veyron. They're all fast but the way they make their power is different. You've got your V8, your twin turbo V8, and a quad turbo W16
Um, no... seing as all the i3/5/7 are built by Intel its no different..

the internal features of the 3/5/7 are all different too, not just speed so the GM, Chevy, Caddi is perfect
__________________
Foldie = i5 6600kMSI Z170A M5 EVGA 970 SC Corsair H100 Corsair hx520 2x8gb GSkill Corsair 650D
Woohoo = L5639 @3.1Ghz EVGA SR-2 gtx 260-216 Hyper 212+ Corsair 1050hx 6x2gb Corsair XMS3 Blackhawk Ulra
Alienware 18 - SLI 770M 4700mq 16Gig

patonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Original Mac User
 
mac_mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 1,515
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

COSMO. U DON'T KNOW NUTHIN. U JUST A DUM FAIRY.


But really though, GM is the parent company that owns Chevrolet and Cadillac. That comparison is completely irrelevant.
__________________

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Inspired by Art
 
tastegw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,400
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul View Post
COSMO. U DON'T KNOW NUTHIN. U JUST A DUM FAIRY.


But really though, GM is the parent company that owns Chevrolet and Cadillac. That comparison is completely irrelevant.
Trots comparison was spot on, he knows gm makes all 3 brands

Caddies have features that Chevy don't.
i7's have features i5's don't

Chevies have features gm branded don't
i5's have features i3's don't

GM branded vehicles for the most part are the lower end of GM's line up
i3 are the lower end of intels "i" line up

Chevy's can be really nice and and for the most part GM's mid ranged cars/trucks
i5's are intels mid level core "i"'s

Caddies are GM's high end line of cars/suv's
i7's are intels high end core "i"'s

Edit, btw I has 1 more post than u do! I win !!! (Until u post again lol)
__________________
tastegw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
The Original Mac User
 
mac_mogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America
Posts: 1,515
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

I've been here 5 years longer than you! I win!

Also, the original metaphor was that an i3 processor was GM, i5 was a Chevrolet, and i7 was a Cadillac.

Brutally honest, everything you get in a Cadillac is just gussied up Chevy parts. Same engines, same platforms... The differences between a chevrolet and a cadillac are skin deep.

I think my metaphor works best! 3 different cars, nevermind the manufacturers. They all make different amounts of power using different methods. They're all still "cars" with sporting intentions, but it's pretty clear which is most powerful. (And also which is most expensive)




Also, this argument is dumb and I enjoy it.
__________________

17" MacBook Pro
2.3ghz Intel i7 // 8gb RAM
The older computer
2.53ghz Intel e7200 // 4gb HyperX // EVGA 9800 GTX 512mb // Win7
mac_mogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
Sean W.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Claremont CA.
Posts: 2,095
Default Re: Wich is better? i5 or i7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_mogul View Post
I've been here 5 years longer than you! I win!

Also, the original metaphor was that an i3 processor was GM, i5 was a Chevrolet, and i7 was a Cadillac.

Brutally honest, everything you get in a Cadillac is just gussied up Chevy parts. Same engines, same platforms... The differences between a chevrolet and a cadillac are skin deep.

I think my metaphor works best! 3 different cars, nevermind the manufacturers. They all make different amounts of power using different methods. They're all still "cars" with sporting intentions, but it's pretty clear which is most powerful. (And also which is most expensive)




Also, this argument is dumb and I enjoy it.


well as long as you know it
__________________

__________________
Modded Raidmax Hyperion Case
MSI Z97M Gaming
4770K
16gigs Corsair Vengeance 1866mhz
SLI GTX 980s
Samsung 830 Series 128gig SSD
EVGA G2 850W power supply
2x Alphacool ST30 240mm, 1x Alphacool ST30 120mm, swiftech Micro res, Enzotech Rev A. CPU water block, Full Coverage EKWB GPU blocks, modded Vari MCP655 pump
LG 34UM95 21:9 Ultrawide 3440x1440 monitor
Sean W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.