Why won't my laptop go into standby or hibernate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. My wife and I have been working on that guide for the last hour. We're now at the Vundo fix but its getting late and she is going to bed. We'll have to restart the guide tomorrow when we get a chance.

Mak, thanks for the help tonight and hopefully you'll have a chance to come back in this thread tomorrow.

Danny

What process is taking up that 20-25%? Cant help you if you dont tell us that kind of info.

Have you tried to go thru our guide?

http://www.techist.com/forums/f51/spyware-removal-guide-osiris-updated-11-13-2008-a-165828/

I just got a clean bill of health after running the entire anti-spyware guide by osiris: http://www.techist.com/forums/f70/here-my-logs-including-hjt-194055/

I've been watching my Windows Task Manager and it's Firefox that is using up the CPU when I'm opening up web pages. Just navigating around different forums on this site causes my Firefox browser to use 100% of CPU capacity :freak:. That just doesn't seem right to me. I know it's using up the CPU because everything kinda "freezes" up during those several seconds that it's using up the CPU.

I have not noticed it acting this way before the last week or so.

Get the Firefox Ultimate Optimizer.

Firefox Ultimate Optimizer - Download

That will reduce the CPU usage of Firefox.

This extreme CPU usage of Firefox is really making using my laptop difficult. It slows down to a crawl because all the CPU capability is being used up. It didn't do that before.

I tried to download the Ultimate Optimizer. I'm having trouble opening it up.

By the way, my laptop still won't go into stby or hibernate unless I close the lid. I'm just going to have to remember to close the lid.

Dont use Firefox till you get the optimizer. As for the Standby and Hibernate i will do some searching. See if i can find some answers.

Mak, thanks for trying to look for an answer to my stby/hibernate situation.

I think that I've got bigger problems with my CPU usage. I was finally able to open up Firefox Optimizer and it looks like its working. On the Windows Task Manager, I've noticed that Firefox's RAM usage has gone way down. However, the CPU usage still pegs out at 100% every time I click on anything.

Not only that, if I try to open up something like the control panel, my computer uses about double the CPU % vs my wife's 5 yr old Averatec laptop. I really think that I've got a big problem. Its almost like my CPU just recently lost about 50% of it's capabilities. I hate computers :mad:.

Are you using the latest version of Firefox? 3.0.5 is the latest stable version. Check that. If not update to the latest version. See if it helps. There was just a major batch of updates done to Firefox this week. Updated just the other day. So it couldn't hurt to look.

Are you using the latest version of Firefox? 3.0.5 is the latest stable version. Check that. If not update to the latest version. See if it helps. There was just a major batch of updates done to Firefox this week. Updated just the other day. So it couldn't hurt to look.

Yes, I downloaded it about 20 mins before you made this post :).

About 45 mins ago, I went ahead and did a system restore all the way back to the 5th of Dec. It didn't change anything except to delete some of the tools that I downloaded from the spyware removal guide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom