where's my hard drive being used????

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilticus

Beta member
i have just got a 2nd hand laptop and i have deleted everything i can find on it that was from previous users but i have still only got 10 gb free, that means that there is 50gb being used somewhere and for the life of me i cant find it. i have gone through the hard drive all afternoon and deleted loads of stuff, removed loads of programs and then run a file shred program. is it possible that there are other users and files somewhere , it was previously owned by a family and i know the kids used it but i cant find any user info for them, is there a way to just wipe the HD just leaving the OS or retrurning to the factory settings like on a apple computer.
thanks lilticus
sorry if this is a dumb question but i am used to an ibook on which i could do this easily

hey just downloaded program called treesize which told me where it was all being used , there was a music file hidden away with 35gb of music on it , couldnt find it before but it is now wiped and i have 45 gb spare space and that is more than enough for me . yeah thing is this is a acer travelmate with no cd drive at all so formating wasnt an option. anyway problem solved via cnet and treesize which i recomend highly if you want to know exactly where your HD space is being used, freeware too

unless its the stupid hibernation file chewing up 1gb of your 4gb's on the SSD in your Eee-PC....hahahahahah that one took me a good hour to find on a clean nlite 300mb version of windows xp....i was all scratching my head hahahahaha just a story...anyway glad you got it all sorted out.

if you have any other problems don't hesitate to ask away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom