What would this mean?

I am hoping that the charger is the problem. I have no idea how to replace the charging port. The guy at Best Buy tells me if it is the power on the computer Best Buy will replace the whole motherboard. Seems too expensive.

I am hoping that the charger is the problem. I have no idea how to replace the charging port. The guy at Best Buy tells me if it is the power on the computer Best Buy will replace the whole motherboard. Seems too expensive.

Best Buy will charge you out the @$$ for any soldering work. Taking it to a local electronics shop would be cheaper most likely. That said, that's only if that's the issue...even then, if your system is like the one that Joe mentioned above, the power connector is on a separate, small board entirely so you could most likely find a replacement on eBay and replace it yourself.

Or I could have someone come out and look at the computer. I really think it is the charger because the charger gets disconnected from the computer as the slightest touch.

Or I could have someone come out and look at the computer. I really think it is the charger because the charger gets disconnected from the computer as the slightest touch.

Well since you already ordered the charger, I would say wait and see if that solves it.

Best Buy will charge you out the @$$ for any soldering work. Taking it to a local electronics shop would be cheaper most likely. That said, that's only if that's the issue...even then, if your system is like the one that Joe mentioned above, the power connector is on a separate, small board entirely so you could most likely find a replacement on eBay and replace it yourself.

Can confirm this as well. Although, most of the Geek Squad locations will not charge you to connect your existing adapter and put a multi-meter to it to test the voltages. That is also an option, but call to confirm with your local store. I'm sure smaller mom and pop shops will test it for you as well without charging. It's a simple 30 second test.

I've only seen this issue with Dell laptops. From what I had to research from the problem I had, that chip tells the board that your using a Dell charger, if that little chip goes bad the bios won't recognize the charger and it won't allow it to charge. (gives error) Be sure to get the charger and battery checked first at the same time before you get a new charge port. These charge ports are not soldered on the motherboard. It's just a matter of splitting open the case to access the charge port that is connected to a pcb card which has a cable that connects to the motherboard. You can get these for about $7. on Ebay. The Dell laptop I had with this problem was a 15xx series.
You can probably get the port replaced at a local pc shop for less than $50. if you do not have the ability to open up your laptop

Last edited:
The new charger did not make any difference. But, does not become detached from the compurer as easy as the other one did.

Next I will purchase a new battery.

Last edited:
Batteries are expensive and this won't fix the problem you're seeing. From Dell's web site:

Dell said:
The error message can be caused by any of the following:

• An unsupported AC adapter is connected to the system or docking station.
  • The AC adapter is not fully connected to the system.
  • The wall power cord is not fully connected to the AC adapter.
  • The AC adapter or system's AC adapter port is damaged.
  • The AC adapter is not recognized in BIOS(System Setup).

I would encourage you to visit a local shop and have the port replaced.

Back
Top Bottom