What in the world is going on here? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Angry What in the world is going on here?

I apologize if this is not in the correct sub-forum.

My laptop fan has been quite loud for the past few months, so I bought a bottle of compressed air to spray off any dust that may have been surrounding it. Not only did it not work whatsoever, it made my computer WORSE.

The colors on my screen are screwing up worse than you would believe. I've never seen this happen before (on any computer), so it's quite difficult to explain. I took this screenshot to give you an idea:

http://i41.tinypic.com/2mbcoz.jpg

Notice that stupid crap in the upper left-hand corner. Now picture that blinking all over your entire screen, keeping you from working/reading/ANYTHING! When I change my desktop background, it momentarily fixes it. The same goes for dragging and highlighting with my mouse. Weird, huh?

Anyway, it's gotten consistently worse over the past couple days. Did I spray the wrong part with the air? How can I fix it? Please help, this is the most obnoxious computer problem I've ever dealt with.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Private Joker

Default Re: What in the world is going on here?

Moved to laptop area.

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 03-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie

Hello,

What are your system temperatures?

If you ask me, I would guess that your GPU is overheating.

|Gaming PC| |Dell Latitude E7250| |Macbook Air 13" (Mid 2013)|
|Windows 10 Pro (x64)| |Intel Core i5-6600 @ 3.3 GHz| |MSI NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X| |Noctua NH-D15S CPU Cooler| |Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-GAMING 5 mATX Motherboard| |Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD| |Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4-SDRAM| |OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W Modular PSU| |NZXT Vulcan Micro ATX Case|
Old 03-01-2009, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
There and Back again

That is your graphics processor failing. whether you have onboard graphics or a dedicated card, it's going to die. If you can, try hooking up your laptop to an external monitor, and if it does it on there as well, then look at either replacing your video, or getting a new laptop. Most onoboard graphics require replacing the whole motherboard, and will be more costly and time consuming than out-right buying a new laptop, depending on what type you have.

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 03-01-2009, 03:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wonder if you just moved the dust from one to the other.

Get a tear down manual and check it out.

Old 03-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin.C View Post
Hello,

What are your system temperatures?

If you ask me, I would guess that your GPU is overheating.
It is very, very, very, extremely hot. Unbelievably hot.

But couldn't I just buy a new fan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukem View Post
That is your graphics processor failing. whether you have onboard graphics or a dedicated card, it's going to die. If you can, try hooking up your laptop to an external monitor, and if it does it on there as well, then look at either replacing your video, or getting a new laptop. Most onoboard graphics require replacing the whole motherboard, and will be more costly and time consuming than out-right buying a new laptop, depending on what type you have.
Thanks for the info, but I honestly don't think it's this complicated, y'all. It just started when I cleaned the inside of my computer. Couldn't I have accidentally scratched or loosened the cable that connects the LCD screen to the logic board? Or something? I don't know.. but I do know that I am not going to waste my money on something I could've fixed cheaply, considering my financial woes, as well as the state of our economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonb View Post
Wonder if you just moved the dust from one to the other.

Get a tear down manual and check it out.
That's what I'm thinking, but what do you mean, "from one to the other?"

Thanks a lot, guys. Mucho appreciato. :happy:
Old 03-01-2009, 09:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
TY, May I have another?

He means that you might have blown all the dust from one fan to another, from what I see in your screenshot, it's your GPU all right, it's probably overheating as people say, and that's what's causing the artifacts. From your first post, one of the possible scenarios is that you didn't blow all the dust out, and instead it's all stuck somewhere causing ventilation problems that in turn cause your GPU to overheat
EVGA 680i
Lian Li Pc-A05
TRUE Black Edition, lapped to almost mirror finish.
Old 03-01-2009, 09:36 PM   #8 (permalink)

^Bingo^

Old 03-01-2009, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Lord Techie

I have seen that before, and it was the actual LCD screen it self.... But if it is that hot, it is possible the dust has jammed up a fan. If you can, and have patience, and so on, take the laptop apart, and clean the heatsink out. Otherwise... GPU = toast.
Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHaTTaFaKKaP View Post
He means that you might have blown all the dust from one fan to another, from what I see in your screenshot, it's your GPU all right, it's probably overheating as people say, and that's what's causing the artifacts. From your first post, one of the possible scenarios is that you didn't blow all the dust out, and instead it's all stuck somewhere causing ventilation problems that in turn cause your GPU to overheat
So, how many fans are there? So basically I just need to

a. find a site that shows a blueprint of my exact computer and model (anyone recommend a site?)
b. find the correct tool to take it apart (haha, some star shaped thing?)
b. take it apart and hope I know how to put it back together in working order

I hope it's as simple as it sounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_scott View Post
I have seen that before, and it was the actual LCD screen it self.... But if it is that hot, it is possible the dust has jammed up a fan. If you can, and have patience, and so on, take the laptop apart, and clean the heatsink out. Otherwise... GPU = toast.
Thanks, everyone. It's blinking as I type this now. I can't stand it much longer. I sure hope Home Depot has the tool I need.

PS: Y'all build computers, but I've never even seen the inside of one. Do you even recommend me doing this in the first place?

Closed Thread