What limits are there on external USB disk drive size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalchina

Beta member
Hi, I have been advised by an HP chat technician that
My laptop (Vista, 32 bit, < 1year old)
a. will not access more than 320Gb via USB
b. will not accommodate more than 320Gb internally

Both he attributes to mother board limitations.

Now (b) (motherboard) I'm willing to accept, although disappointed - my laptop's under a year old- but (a) (USB) surprises me.

What limits the size of external drive you can access?

a. USB2 limitation? - but there are bigger drives on the market, so can't be that.
b. Windows limitation - surely not. Deosn't make sense.
which leaves
c. motherboard limitation (even though it's connected by USB

In other words, should I believe the HP tech advice on a 320Gb USB drive limit for my HP G60 laptop?

The tech said even if I connected a 500Gb drive, I could only access 320Gb.

Also, he said if used a 7200rpm drive, it would only function at 5400rpm.
That I find really hard to believe...
Sure, the top range on this chassis can only be shipped with 5400rpm 320Gb.
I upgraded the hard drive on my previous laptop with no problems.. so I'm confused...

Thanks! dalchina

I guess it's remotely possible but I really doubt it's true.

Does it show up as 500GB on other machines?

Hi, thanks, glad you agree.. I'm guessing the HP tech's statements were simply founded on the highest spec sheet as shipped for that model.

I can't really believe his statement about either the size or the speed.

I was considering getting a 500Gb 7200rpm drive.. his statements dissuaded me. - so I don't have one as big as that to try...

Thanks again.. dalchina

How is it not plausable? I mean there are hardware limitations on RAM sizes (no ont the 3.5 gb limitation but when one HP or Dell can only register 2 gig or so). Why not hard drives?

I agree it is weird, but i don't see it as being impossible. Could be hard coded on the drive itself - if the BIOS can't read more than 320 GB windows won't see more than that.

I can see the internal being a 320 limitation, but the external drive would not have the BIOS issue.

Infact, theres not alot of laptops with over 320Gig so, again thats possible

Well he still hasnt answered the question on what model though. Although I guess it might be a limitation on the rpm of the hard drive, since he mentioned that he was told that using a 7200rpm drive would only have it run at 5400rpm.

You need to state out loud what's your unit's model, maybe someone here has the same model and could answer your inquiry.

yeah, but I meant maybe the exact one. Oh well. I guess another G60 wont differ from another specific G60 in terms of hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom