What kind of enclosure? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default What kind of enclosure?

My wife had an HP DV6000US and the motherboard went out on it. We've since gotten her a new laptop, but all of her old information is still on the hard drive of the HP. I'm thinking about getting a 2.5" external enclosure for the hard drive so she can get what she needs, but I'm not sure what kind to get. My parents lent me one they had lying around but the hard drive didn't even begin to connect. I know on desktops you've got IDE and SATA drives, is that true with laptops also? How do I determine what kind of enclosure will make the right connection?

Old 12-15-2009, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar
Default Re: What kind of enclosure?

You can either use a conversion kit that converts 2.5'' IDE connection to USB or SATA, or you can purchase an enclosure that uses the 2.5'' size hard drives.

If this is an IDE connection you'll have to find a secific enclosure for laptop hard drives (2.5''). If this is a SATA connection any enclosure that is SATA should work.
-Vista SME
Closed Thread

Posting Rules