What do YOU use your laptop for? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Laptops and Notebooks
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default What do YOU use your laptop for?

I'm curious... are there any laptop gamers out there? I keep stumbling across forums with users curious as to whether or not they can play Battlefield or Crysis on their laptop. I never associated laptops with game playing. I like a big desktop sitting on a stable desk to play games. Something about a laptop just turns me off with games...

However, I absolutely love watching movies or live concert dvds on the laptop. Today I was cleaning up the house and I was taking the laptop with me in every room watching Pearl Jam live @ Madison Square Garden. Things like that are sweet. But when it comes down to gaming, I like my big throne @ the desktop.

Also, I use the laptop for typical school stuff as well. Note taking, excel spreadsheets, etc.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
There and Back again

Default Re: What do YOU use your laptop for?

I have a Dell M1710 configured for me that I play all the games on:

Crysis, Bioshock, FEAR (+ expansions), Q4, Oblivion (+ expansions), Prey, Dooms 3, and it plays them more than beautifully... I do not expect maxed out setting, but I do want to play it with no lag.. and that is what I get. But I also do my paperwork, and media stuff on it as well... so for me it IS a desktop replacement. I even have a portable printer for it. LoL

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 12-28-2007, 01:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Content Team

I have a Aspire 5573zwxmi and it doesnt even compare with most of the laptop users here because it's not really built for gaming and bigger loads. The only thing i use this is for internet/tech forums/voip
Old 12-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

I have an inspiron 9300, use it for games, movies, and music. I think the only thing i need is a gamepad/control. I am also upgrading my RAM to run better games.
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon x300
80GB Hard drive
Old 12-28-2007, 06:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariqadkhan View Post
I have an inspiron 9300, use it for games, movies, and music. I think the only thing i need is a gamepad/control. I am also upgrading my RAM to run better games.
I sort of have the same. Mine has the xps skin though. I have 2gb ddr2 and it runs great. Mine also has a pin mod to overclock the cpu from 1.8Ghz to 2.4Ghz.

I play games and just use it to replace my desktop now. Its just as fast if not faster then my desktop. The graphics are a little different in a few games I played.
Old 12-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I have am ABS G3 mayhem (I think that's the name) that I used to game on a lot. I usually do it on my desktop now, though. Oblivion ran like butter, though. Mostly I just use it for surfing and portability. Since my main is down atm and I haven't had time to troubleshoot it fully I'm using my lappy all the time.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
TF's First Dry Ice User!

i've got a toshiba satellite a215-s4697 that i upgraded to 2gb of ram, took of vista and threw on pro and the thing runs like a dream. my only complaint is that its heavy and not very portable. but when i got it i got it for around $450 and it retails for around 650-700 depending on when/where you get it so im extremely happy with it.

but i do my school work, all messaging, work stuff, internet, email, and basically everything except gaming, cause thats why i have a gaming rig

i really am thinking about getting a business notebook that's like "ultra-portable" anybody have experience with them?
A notice to EVERYONE who has posted here with a computer problem, I highly encourage you to keep current with the forums, even if it's browsing for 10-15 minutes during lunch, or before you go to bed at night. There are many things that you can learn and apply to future issues. My goal is to help people get to a point where they can use their own knowledge to help themselves, and others.

Also please use the search button. You've got a 50/50 chance that someone's asked your question and we've answered it.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
There and Back again

Dell Vostro Notebooks

Dell 4K S2817Q / Logitech Z-680 / Func MS3 Mouse / Corsair K70 LUX rgb
NZXT Source 530 / i5-7600K / Corsair H100i v2 / ASRock Z270 Extreme4
SM951 M2 256GB / 850 evo 1TB / Seagate 2TB / WD 2TB
2x16GB Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 / evga Classified GTX 980 ti / Seasonic M12II 850W

Old 12-29-2007, 05:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hawk12online

I use my computer mainly for gaming and my laptop is only used for gaming when I'm on holiday etc. I use it everyday for emails, general surfing, occasional gaming and generally mucking about :P.

Ben

P.S. Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well I got a lappy i use for work, but i am using it more an more for coding an entertainment such as DVD's an music.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Closed Thread