What to do with broken laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bagelred

In Runtime
So my laptop took a licking and is broken. Screen is warped. I get the "disk read error" screen on front.

Anyway, what to do with the broken laptop? I didn't have any particularly sensitive data on hard drive, although I'd still feel uneasy giving it to someone as is.

What do I salvage from it? Take out the memory? Put up on craigslist "as is"? Anything worth saving? Toss in garbage? Battery is dead as well.

Here are the specs:

AS6530-6522 Computer specs: 7.5lbs; 16" 1366x768; AMD Turion Dual-Core QL-62 @ 2.0GHz; 3GB RAM; 250GB HDD; DVD burner; Vista Home Premium; Radeon HD3200; webcam; 6-cell battery;

You could donate it to your local non-profit organization. I have one in town here that repairs computers and gives them to needy families, as well as schools. I donate old computers and computer parts to them that I get from family and friends. Things I have no use for, and can't really sell them. Could salvage the RAM and HDD. That's about it.

If they cannot fix it, or get it to work, they can safely throw it out.

Try craigslist if you have no use for the parts.

As MoM said donation is always welcome, or recycle it. DO NOT throw it away as it contains dangerous chemicals that can do damage to the environment.

and if you dont feel right giving it as is for data personal just remove HDD and put it in your desktop see if you can recover some info for your self as thats the only place you store personal info.

Sell the parts seperately on ebay, and recycle the rest, see if there is a program through the manufacturer's website, some actually recycle their own old dead products for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom