What is a Chip Type?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonance

Beta member
I'm working on my fiance's laptop; I've recently installed a fresh copy of Windows 7, and I'm upgrading the drivers.

I didn't know what type of graphics card he had onboard. The friend we bought this laptop from said it was an Nvidia.

So after running the DX Diagnostic, I found that under the Display Tab it lists these device specs:

Name: Standard VGA Graphics Adapter
Manufacturer: (Standard display types)
Chip Type: NVIDIA
DAC Type: 8 bit

And for the main driver, is says vga.

Now.... I'm wondering what a chip type is? Since this is where it says "NVIDIA", does that mean this is an NVIDIA graphics card? Is a chip type the same thing as a chip-set?

On my own laptop, the decide specs list NVIDIA under the manufacturer and name, and it lists GeForce as the Chip Type.

So by comparison, it makes me think that on my finace's laptop, it's not actually an NVIDIA graphics card.

Can anyone help me with this? I'll give any extra information necessary, if what I've posted isn't enough.

Thanks in advance!
~Sonance

P.S. - This is a laptop I'm working on, so I posted it under the Laptop Forum. Sorry if this post is in the wrong place!

It's a Dell Inspiron 1420. I'm going to head over to the Dell website and see if I can find any useful information. Thanks for the heads-up! I'll come back and post more if I run into any more snags. :)

Thanks, MindoverMaster!

Dell's site had plenty of drivers for me to choose from for the laptop. After installing the driver, it completely changed up the information listed in the DX Diagnostic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom